Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attn. Gearheads!! Help please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASS_PLAYERS, May 24, 2001.

1. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I recently bit the bullet and upgraded my bass rig from a Peavey TNT 115 to an SWR Bass 350 head and an SWR Goliath 3 4x10 cab. WOW!! I love playing bass again! Talk about awesome tone...My Jazz Bass GROWLS through this little unit. Now for my question. The owners manual says its putting 220 watts into this 8 ohm cab. The head is rated at 350 watts into 4 ohms. What will it put out if I add a Son of Bertha 1x15 cab?? I really want to add a 1x15 for the added bottom, but I'm not sure what kind of power this head will put out with this combination of cabinets. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if the 115 is an 8-ohm cab, you'll have a load of 4 ohms, and the amp will have access to all 350 watts of its rated power. So it'll put out somewhere between zero and 350 watts, depending on how hard you crank it.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Not quite true - the Goliath is a 4 ohm cabinet, last time I checked. My Goliath 4 (series 2) was, and my current 2x10 Goliath Jr. is as well. I'd double check to make sure if I were you!

If you run them in series, you'll put the ohm rating below what the amp is probably designed for - and the dreaded "magic smoke" can ensue.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    A little off there 6&8 :D The current Goliath III is an 8 ohm cab. If the intended 1x15 is a Son of Bertha, it too is 8 ohm. Besides all of that, if you put the cabs in series the impedance would be higher and pose no problem. And, beyond that, the SWR 350 will handle loads down to 2 ohms.

So go ahead and get the SOB, it will work just fine with your current setup.

I should add that the normal hookup would be parallel, not series, and can be attained by daisy chaining the cabs or by using both outputs on the 350 as the jacks are in parallel.

5. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    No kidding! It seems kind of weird that a 4x10 would be 8 Ohm, since many use it as their only cabinet and you'd want to maximize wattage. I know MY Goliath was 4 ohm. And my Goliath Jr. most certainly is as well.

In that case, it works out well for the young American! Woo hoo.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Eden D-410XLT is an 8-ohm cab. They make them both ways. Connecting a 4-ohm cab with an 8-ohm cab results in an impedance of 2.67 ohms.

On the series thing, people very rarely run cabs in series. You need a special cable for that, and it's not commonly available. It wouldn't be that hard to make one though.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can wire the two jacks of the cabinet in series to get around the special chord requirement.

8. Running two cabs in series is unadvisable, unless they are identical cabs. Different cabs have different impedance graphs, and this causes them to interact. Maybe even counteract!

There's a reason why you can't buy series adaptor cables or amps with this feature built-in. G**tar amps is another issue.