Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attn: GK 800RB owners. A couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtraLongScale, Jan 17, 2006.

1. To those who run it biamp: I'm cab hunting for this head right now and wondering what the ideal hi frequency cab would be. What do you guys use? Any crossover setting advice while we're at it? I know from what I've read online that most 800RB users run theirs full range which sounds great, but I intend on using mine to it's fullest potential. Also for biamp & non-biampers alike, how's the DI on this head, just in case I find myself in a situation without a DI box? It's unlikely, but I never rule anything out. :D

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't own one of these but checking out the specs it only runs lo=300w @ 4ohm (200@8o) and hi=100w@8o. I wonder if that's enough beef to power much of anything, esp on the hi end.

Is the high end only capable of running an 8 ohm cab? I'd like to have my highs out of a 4x12 (4ohm cab).

3. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Lots of people just use a 2x10 for the top.
    100 watts is plenty, if you set the crossover up around 12 or higher.
    It's a fundamentally very good design, virtually unchanged since 1982.

4. I was initially thinking a 2x10 (200 watts or lower, for efficiency's sake) but the 4x5 "brite boxes" seem real interesting as well. Maybe a 1x10?

5. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Any 8 ohm cab you want.

6. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    The high channel has an 8 ohm minimum.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    maybe try to find good midrange drivers (around 6 - 6.5 "). some higher end companies like accugroove and possibly bergantino are already using midrange drivers in their cabs to handle the top end. this is common practice in every audio application except musical instruments; unfortunately.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Excellent idea. Or maybe 2 eights and a horn. Or a small stage monitor that can be thrown on the floor facing back at you for a bass monitor (run it full range though) or stacked on top of your other cab.

I'm kinda surprised GK is still producing this dinosour though. 100 watts isn't much, especially since alot of people run both sides full range.

I think the 700/1001 series is a progression of that original theme that makes more sense. Anyway, what was the question?

9. I agree. I'd love to see drivers as opposed to tweeters in cabs. I'm sure down the road, I'll develop some aptitude for cab building but until then, I'm stuck with what's on the shelves or on ebay.

10. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    They'll make it as long as it sells, and it sells because it's a great design, and proven reliable...
    I don't biamp, myself, but 100 watts is plenty if you use the crossover as it was intended.
    Myself, I just use the 300 watt section with a 4 ohm 4x10 and it's more than enough for any venue I've played.

11. Well, in my case, I got one off of ebay for $25 http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210702. It's since been half restored and once a portable, yet powerful rig is put together around this completed head, It'll be perfect for smaller rooms or live situations with one guitarist. I already have a 700 watt rig for my main band. I just want different rigs for different gigs. Ya dig?

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Back in the 1990s, I used an 800rb with pair of 1X15 cabs for the lows and a JBL PA cab for the highs. The PA cab was designed for vocals only and had a 1X12 and a radial horn. It worked very well for top 40 cover band and soul funk gigs.

Today, most guys that I've seen just use the 300 watt amp section plugged into full range 2X10 or 4X10 cabs.

If you really want to pursue the bi-amp route, you might also try going the custom cab route. pick out some 8 or 10 inch drivers and throw in a tweeter or horn.

The DI out is fine, never had any complaints from the sound guys. I seem to remember that there was no pre/post EQ switch for the DI, as with the new models.

13. I think that's the route I'll eventually go. I checked out Low Down Sound's webpage & they really have my interest piqued. In the meantime though, I think I'll just use a Hartke XL 2x10 and bide my time till I can afford something custom. Thanks guys. My speaker curiosity is a little more sated now. So does anyone use the DI output on the back of the head? I'll be using a Countryman with this head, but just in case I space out & forget to bring it, I'd like to know that the GK's DI can do the job.

14. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I ran 2 -115 jbl cabs on the low end and a 210 mesa boogie cab to handle the highs for the better part of 15 yrs giging..

the Gk 800 RB is surprisingly (sp) loud despite of its power rating

I have used the DI on most of my bigger gigs with out any issues, thou you are still at the mercy of the soundman

15. Ditto all that! I used either 1 or 2 JBL 1x15's for eighteen years with mine and 12's or 10's for highs. Full range is just as good IMO. You can also run full range out of both the 300w & 100w output at the same time but make sure the impedance does not go below 8ohms on the 100w side. DI is fine and I think it's post eq. Great amp with plenty of power!!

16. Thanks, Rat & lbw. I used the head (full range into a 212) at rehearsal last week and I've gotta say that's the loudest 300W I've ever experienced (with apologies to my vintage SVT). I was a little worried about headroom prior to the rehearsal because I've got two loud guitarists and we play at stage volume for rehearsal. My main 700W rig handles the job in spades, but after this rehearsal I think I'll use it full on for one of our upcoming gigs. If it handles that, which I'm sure it will, then I've definitely got a keeper. It'll still be a backup for the main rig, but one I won't be afraid to use. Best $25 I ever spent. Thanks for the input on the DI, too. I feel more at ease now.

17. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 800 is a classic. I've never found it to be too little power using only the 300 watt section at any sane levels. I have messed around using one bi-amped and always liked the sound of full range better. The last time I used one on a gig I used a 2X10 in the 8ohm amp but ran it full range also. It was fine. Added a bit more volume and upper bite.

You got yourself quite a deal.

18. Thanks for the full range tip. I was under the GK newb assumption that if you ran full range, it would disable the 8ohm 100 watt amp. That's great. Can't wait to try it when I get my 8ohm cab. Thanks again.

19. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I once used mine with my two 115 EV loaded cabs and a peavy 4x10 cab on top. I was the closest to a "wall of sound" I ever have gotten out of the 800 RB. I bought an Eden 210, figuring that it would do the same thing, but I don't think it really does.

Now I run it full range all the time. The sound is the best that way.

It's never let me down.

20. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    so when you use the 100watt amp from 210 and the 300 watt amp for a 4 ohm 410 on fullrange.........how does it punch..does the 210 add anything..........like does the 100 watt amp give you any extra bottom end...........or does it just increase your volume?.....cause i am looking at getting one and runing it as a 210 410 combanation on fullrange.......You have anythought's on that?