Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attn: Guitarists (fingerpicking)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Feb 25, 2002.

1. How important is it to make a C-Shape with your plucking hand when fingerpicking? That is to arch it like classical players do in a C-Shape. My ex-guitar teacher told me to do this when I was learning BLACKBIRD. This song is the only fingerpicking song I know...but I am working on 'Everybody's Talkin' by Harry Nilsson which is a very fast fingerpicking song.

So far I haven't really taken my teacher's advice. I have tried to do it...but I find it's very hard to adapt to that. I have normal sized fingers...actually they are closer to being small I guess. So what do you think? Should I start slaving away and make sure I'm always making that C-Shape? It's not too late yet...I'm just wondering how important it is... Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Important. Do the flat-handed sausage-fingers thing with acoustic guitar and all you'll get is little blips.

The curvature also helps equalize the attack of the index, middle and ring fingers by de-emphasising the difference in their lengths. Actual hand size is irrelevant.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Smaller is probably better matterfact...more precision

4. Thanks, Christopher. I've heard different opinions on this. To be safe, I really should start trying more to adapt to the C-shape.

Intrepid: Maybe for fingerpicking...but playing barre chords it is difficult. I still have trouble with barre chords.