Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATTN: Marchlewski Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattwells, Dec 21, 2004.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Okay guys, I am looking at putting in a down payment on a custom bass soon, and his craftsmanship speaks for itself (he is one talented guy), but what about the tone? How would those of you who own one describe the tone you ended up with? What is your tone wood/pickup/pre combination?

Just trying to see what they sound like, I know they look un-freaking-believable.

Thanks guys.

2. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I'll bite.

Mine is Ash Body, Myrtle top, Mac Ebony f/b, Maple neck, Aggie OBP-3 w/ Nordstrand Fat Stacks. Tone is clear, crisp and well defined. No mush. Marcus style slap tone is dead on, great for R&B, smooth jazz, gospel, etc. Chords are well defined. String to string definition is excellent, with harmonic content of all notes being retained (no competing, clashing overtones). That's set flat...

Going to the pre and pup selections opens a veritable cornucopia of usable tones, from funky mid boost finger style, to deep DUB bass...covers all the basses (ha ha ha)....

..and Jacob is a joy to work with.

3. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I have a maple and mahogany combo... very warm with the round maple bite. Sort of a jazz meets a ric tone.

My bari guitar is koa and walnut... I dont have anything to compare it too since it is a very strange instrument, but it sounds very clear and clean. :)

I dont think you would be disappointed... :) Just be clear about the sound you want and choose woods accordingly.

4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    My instrument sounds very woody but clear. Not a warwick woody, but warm and a very definite fundamental. It's very hard to get it to sound muddy.

I have the Nordstrand Fatstacks and Demeter 3 band preamp.