Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've been tossing around this idea for a few weeks now. I am a proud owner of a 535 with swamp ash body, maple/maple neck, and a myrlte top. MTD is the way to go for me, no question. However, I still wonder if maybe I might have held off until I tried different wood combinations. When I picked up this bass from Glenn @, I was able to play a few other MTD's, including the crotch walnut ash body bass found in Mike's gallery, as well as the 'classic' MTD combo, wenge/wenge neck with tulipwood body. I was taken aback by two aspects of Mike's work: 1) each wood combination provides radically different tonal qualities, like ingredients in a casserole 2) Regardless of tonal difference, the level of quality and the uniform attention to detail on each instrument was impressive.

Basically, I am proposing a swap between fellow MTD users who are curious about different wood combos, but don't necessarily want to make a permanent switch. Would it be worth the risk and the cost of shipping? Maybe this is just a crackpot idea, but it's been consuming my thoughts. For instance, I would love to trade my MTD for a 535 with a walnut body and a wenge neck. Or maybe an ash body with a walnut top and wenge neck. What do you think?
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ...I think most people would consider the risks to be too high with so many unknowns, like who you're dealing with. Face to face might be possible, but severely limit your options unless you live in beverly hills or something. :)
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think that is a crazy idea... :eyebrow: How can you send a $2,3 or 4K bass to a stranger, hoping he/she will send you his/hers back? I did a swap once with a fellow player but only because he agreed to send his bass first and luckily for him, I'm an honest person.

If the swap is in person, yes, that is another scenario, but otherwise...

Anyhow, to help in your dilema, if your are looking to order or buy another MTD, just think that there is no "bad combination". Just order the opposite of what you have already, to have different sounds and maybe give Mike a call... I'm sure he knows what each combination sounds like...

I just got an used 535 with an ash body, maple neck and wenge board and I don't care what other wood combinations sound like, this is perfect!!!! :D
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah... look at the weirdness we had with our "pass it around" Wishbass, and that cost $300, not $3000. :meh:
  6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    point taken.
  7. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    I own a MTD 635, with Mahogany body, Maple Burl top, maple neck and rosewood finger board. The bass plays and sounds excellent. I can adjutst the tone to kinda sound like a vintage fender or Lakland but with a more defined modern tone.