1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

attn reverb freaks: ehx nano holy grail

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RCCollins, Mar 30, 2009.

1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
  2. dantheman6690

dantheman6690

Aug 10, 2007
    I guess EHX heard about the spring chicken and decided to compete

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: No, EHX has had the Holy Grail for several years, it's only the XO (micro) package that is new. And it's a digital emulation of a spring reverb, whereas the Spring Chicken is a real spring reverb, or at least it will be when (if) it's actually produced.

4. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    pretty sure the spring chicken is a stopgap product: a digi spring reverb to hold folks over while malekko tries to develop a compact spring reverb stombbox that doesn't make horrible noises when a car drives by

edit: From Malekko's site:

they don't come right out and say "digital" and ya know what? i find this a wee bit misleading

i have no use for reverb but unless the chicken lays actual eggs, i would tend to go for the cheaper, more compact digital reverb emulator that also includes hall ans (silly) flurb modes

if it had a plate mode i would buy it today

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, whoops-- I had read the threads about the Chicken and must have gotten confused because of the talk of developing a real spring unit.

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    pretty understandable

is it just me who finds that malekko is less than up front about this? it's like "read the fine print" or something, i dunno.

$150 for a single-mode digital reverb? it better sound INCREDIBLE

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    ICs don't always equal digital. You'll have to look for A/D and D/A converters in the circuit whenever gut shots come out of the Spring Chicken.

I'm curious about this Nano (not XO) Holy Grail. Reverb would be cool but I don't want to spend much money on it and it would have to be compact.

8. I had one of these. But in the big metal box. And It did a pretty darn good job, too.

9. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I keep telling myself I need to diversify my pedals, but EHX keeps putting out the pedals I want.

It's official. I <3 EHX

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Malekko kept trying to fit a spring into an enclosure that small but to no avail according to a post I read here...somewhere...

11. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Funny - I just made room on my board for probably the largest reverb box out there - The Digitech XP400. But it has an expression pedal, so all is forgiven.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    oh I realize this (as bucket brigade ICs are analog, obvi) but somebody please show me an analog IC-based reverb emulator

i'm more than willing to eat crow if i'm wrong but my guess is that if it were analog, it would be described as analog on the malekko site.

i realize that other (particularly large-sized) companies don't exactly promote their reverb pedals as "digital" these days, but I think we all expect a bit more transparency from smaller builders like Malekko

edit: besides tbh the reverb that most sparks my curiosity is the digitech hardwire

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Not to throw a GC salesman pitch at ya, but that pedal is siiiiick :ninja::D

14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i'll let it slide this time haha

15. This seems a little redundant to me. They already made in the holy grail plus in a BBM sized enclosure which is not much bigger at all. I know it will be cheaper and blah blah, but still.

Plus my guitarist won't be happy considering he bought the one about a month ago.

16. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    If you want an actual real spring-in-a-box type pedal, your only options that I am aware of right now are the Reverbamate and the Little Lanilei (which I have in the mail on the way to me right now :ninja:). Every other reverb I've ever heard of is a digital emulation. Never heard of an analog one.

17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    If you dig the 'verb, you must check out the Boost R.V.B.:hyper:

18. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i have a feeling they won't do another run of the XO holier grail you're talking about. This one has a better selection of modes (the holier replaces spring mode with hall, i think). What's lame is that only the enormous "holiest grail" has a plate setting. Lame.

PLEASE get back to us about the Little Lanielei! For your sake, I hope that it is a stable unit - but i am skeptical. Folks have been trying to make spring reverb stompboxes like forever and they have always been really sensitive to vibrations and bumps - like say, the vibrations from a bass amp that your board is located in front of...

19. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I definitely will do a demo of it for you guys. I hear what you're saying about its sensitivity. I am of two minds on that. Yes, it will suck if it sits there rattling away the entire time I'm playing. But at the same time, one of the coolest things about real spring reverb is getting it to make that awful/awesome racket when you bump/kick it. We'll see.

20. dantheman6690

dantheman6690

Aug 10, 2007
    I know but the timing of the spring chicken with its small size and the micro holy grail coming out at the same time just seemed a little too coincidental is all, although they probably had nothing to do with each other. :p