1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Attn soccer/football fans: US/Germany friendly on right now

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Unfortunately I'll have to miss most of it, but I'm watching what I can.

It's on ESPN2 over here.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    lol.

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Ewww, the second half was awful. Pretty even first half. I think the US can eliminate some of the folks battling for the last few spots. It was great to see Cory Gibbs back, and I thought he played well. Others who played well: Cherundolo, Convey (for one half) and Mastroeni. I don't know what to make of Berhalter (Beerholder?), He was dreadful, but is an experienced European league defender.

Conrad proved he may not be ready for internationals against quality teams. Ching is done in big internationals. Twellman did nothing. Olsen is a placeholder. Klein can't play at that level, Zavagnin is second tier as well.

Good reminder to the US of how hard the WC is going to be.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Who cares - they're both just "also-rans" on the world stage!! ;)

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Bruce, you may be right about that except that the "home" team always "overperforms" at the WC....

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

On the toilet....:meh:?

7. Doing it without one of our better players (Claudio Reyna) was pretty tough too. That second half was terrible.

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Given Reyna's recent penchant for injury, they better prepare to play with out him. Few teams go to the WC Finals with 100% of their desired players fully fit.

But I agree, that squad needs the kind of Adult Supervision he has provided for this side for years...

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Last week's FIFA ratings had the US at #5.

Now, I hope we do really well and all, but I think someone was on crack …

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The rating system is a mess that is seemingly designed to start arguments. Interestlingy, after the last WC where the US defeated Mexico 2-0 to move to the final 8, Mexico jumped ahead of the US on the first rankings after the WC.

I give no more creedance to the US being 5 than I do the Czech's being #2. Czech is a solid team. Second best in the World? No.

Anyone want to dispute Brazil as #1?

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Let's hope Germany gets some SERIOUS opponents this WC because last time they were very very lucky with the teams they had to play against and the fact that they have Kahn.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Who played keeper, Friedel or Howard ?

13. Neither, it was Keller.

14. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Friedel has retired from international competitions, saying he hopes to extend his club career with Blackburn Rovers, where he has done very well.

Howard is finding it difficult to get a game anywhere. He's played maybe a game and half for the first team at Man U all season, and hasn't figured in an important US International. He is probably 3rd at best on the US depth chart right now, following Marcus Hahnemann, who has been the # for Reading FC, moving up to the Premiership next season.

Both Hahnemann and Friedel are very well thought of by the supporters of their teams.

But Kasey Keller will be the man in Germany this summer. Judging from yesterday, he'll have to be....:ninja:

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Hmmm...Arena: Playing Germany Was a Mistake

I wonder if he thought it was a mistake at half time? It may have been a little rough on the ego, but some harsh realities were exposed yesterday. Better to find out in March than May....

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    So they moved him up from the U-21 team, good for him.

17. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    U-21? For the 35 year old Keller? I don't think his U-21 jersey fits anymore....;)

18. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Alright now I'm confused, what the kid's name on the U-21 team with the spikey/punky haircut ? I had the right name associated with the wrong face. Anyway, that u-21 kid looks to be a real gamer. My 9yr old son(huge Tim Howard fan) assures me that he'll be the US national team keeper in another 10 years, or so. He shows a great deal of talent/promise, I hope he's right.

19. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Is it Quentin Westberg? Sounds like the right desription....

Could be promising, but he's a bit on the smallish side. No one cares if you can play....

OT: Why do I know this stuff?

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Heh! What was the score last time England played Germany?

Oh yeah, we kicked their asses 1 - 5.