Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

attn techies: help me make a picture from DVD

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bestest_bassist, Nov 15, 2002.

1. attn all techies:
    i'm getting really frustrated. i bought myself a new computer for college, it's a Dell with Windows XP. i really enjoy my computer but i decided that i want to make my own picture for the desktop. i have a lot of cool DVDs and i thought making a picture from one of them would be cool, especially a still image from some point in "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads. so my process so far has been to play the DVD and then pause when i come across an image i like, hit the "Print Screen" button and then using various picture-editing programs (Paint, Dell Picture Studio, etc) i'll paste the image in there, edit it to my liking and then try to set the image as my desktop background. however, as soon as i unpause the DVD, the actual image on my desktop changes with the DVD and when i stop the DVD or eject it, the image goes to black.

what's going on with this? i consider myself to be relatively computer-handy but this is kinda annoying me. so how the hell do i just make a vidcap? i've tried looking for help both on the net and on my computer tutorials but that search has been equally frustrating. so i thought i'd just come here. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance...

Joel

2. have u tried saving the picture u edited as say a Jpeg? then open the Jpeg in say Internet Explorer and right-click to get the menu and choose "set as wallpaper"??

:D:D

Merls

3. yer DVD player software doesnt have a "snapshot" button???

try going full screen and then do the Ctrl-PrtSc

anyway it sounds like you have no trouble actually capturing the image.

just save it as .BMP format (put it somewhere you can find it!)

then close the damn DVD app, etc

right click on the bare desktop somewhere, do "properties... 'Background' tab" - hit the Browse button and find the BMP you just saved....

4. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD software - there is a little camera button that takes screen captures in the main control thinger. It can also be triggered by pressing the "C" key. Check the help file/manual of your DVD player software to see if it has a screen capture function.

If it doesn't, it can still be done with third party software...

--jeff

5. thanks for the help so far, but still none of it is working. rockandroller, the process that you described is exactly what i've been doing. i had been saving the pictures in a bmp format. the problem comes when i actually close the DVD player. as soon as i close the DVD player, the picture that i had already saved turns to black, as if the saved picture depended on the DVD application being open and on the exact image i saved.

merlin, i also tried saving it as a jpeg, but that didn't help either, i got the same results.

jeff, the two programs i had been using were PowerDVD and Windows Media Player. i can't find the camera button that you're speaking of, but if it just replicates the effects of the "print screen" button, then i'm a little doubtful that it'd help.

thanks for the suggestions anyways guys, any other thoughts as to what i should do? jeff, what is some of the third party software that you would recommend?

Joel

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've had the exact same problem.
    Still searching for the answer. I'll let you know if I figure it out. So-far, not working!

7. well at least i know it's not my computer then :). sure, it may not solve the problem, but i'd much rather have a teeny, picky complaint with my PC than have a practically brand new, defective computer.

Joel

8. Joel, take a peek at the attached image for where the screen capture button is. One thing to note is that if you have hardware accelleration on, the button will be greyed out - to turn it off, go into PowerDVD's configuration (either click the little hammer icon on the far right of the eight toolbar buttons, or press Ctrl-C), go to the Video tab, and unselect "Enable" under hardware accelleration. I would reccomend that you turn it back on once finished a capture - if you do have the appropriate hardware on your video card, hardware accelleration decreases the CPU usage during the playing of DVDs, and usually the image quality is superior.

If that doesn't work, the only third party program I know of is called HyperSnap-DX. It costs $35 US to get rid of the branding on your image you'll get in the demo mode, but it's well worth the money if you regularly use its advanced features.

Good luck!

--jeff

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The camera button in PowerDVD doesn't just replicate the print screen (Print Scrn) button. If you do a print screen while the DVD is running and then open Miscorsoft Paint and paste, you'll get the movie running in the Paint window. Close the DVD and the pasted info in Paint will go to black.

The camera button grabs the picture in the DVD window, when you paste it into Paint it stays.

Basically what feckn_eejit said.

10. Jeff,
    thank you very much for your help...i couldnt imagine anything more specific. however, even after disenabling the hardware accelerator, i'm still not finding the camera button on my PowerDVD controller. are there different versions of PowerDVD that do not have the camera feature? i believe i have version 4.0, but i'm not completely sure. my controller does look a little bit different than yours. i included a picture of what my PowerDVD looks like if it'd help you determine which version i have. and if i do have a different version, is there anywhere i could go to d/l a demo of the version that'll help me out?

once again, thanks for all the help.

Joel

11. well i went to Cyberlink's website and d/l'ed the trial version of PowerDVD 4.0. in the process, i had to uninstall my version of PowerDVD 4.0, which for some reason is not the same as the normal version 4.0, but whatever. i do now have the option of taking captures, so thank you everyone for your help, i do appreciate it a lot.

Joel

12. Aha... it looks like Dell added their own "skin" to your PowerDVD app, which did not include the camera button. Jerks!

--jeff

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmmm, I've not tried this. I think its WinDVD4 I've got - I'll go and give that a whirl tonight when I get to my PC at home. Sad to think the one I have at home can run rings round this work one - at work I'm still using Windows 95:(

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ouchie!

15. It's impossible to take a normal screen capture of a DVD because it runs in an overlay window. Your video card does not consider something running in an overlay window to be part of the screen, it's a seperate entity that gets drawn apart from the rest of the screen and then pasted into place at the last step of the screen rendering process. The only way to get a picture from a DVD is to have a capture function built into the player like PowerDVD does. That capture function in the DVD player renders the screenshot internally then spits it out to a file.

16. Bingo. I wanted to try to figure out how to explain the whole DirectDraw overlay thing, but I couldn't find the words.

--jeff