1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATTN: Washburn B-40 Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    :bassist:For all of you lucky enough to have one-----please post anything at all from the bass that says B-40. You may have to look under things, even the reverse side of the truss rod cover, a sticker under the wiring, etc. Much appreciated and I'll snag a copy for my history library on our precious Matsumoko Washies.:bassist:

2. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I will take a look and see if I can find anything.

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks, msact. Still looking for ads, price lists from 1979, 1980 and 1981 for the B-40, the SB-40 along with any promo, brochure, review, etc. And in all this research I find more and more mysteries on some Washburn basses from then that I did not even realize! Plus some obvious errors in even their own ads! Quite a tangle. But maybe I will be able to put together an e-book on these missing years when done. That's the goal.

BTW, the "Bible" on Washburn called "WASHBURN, Over One Hundred Years of Fine Stringed Instruments" by John Teagle is extremely disappointing. He does a fine job on the corporate history starting 1883 until mid-90's (published 1996) and then out of 200 pages loaded with photos----only 9 are for the basses and the critical years of 1978-1983 are blurbed over in 1-2 paragraphs with no mention at all of several basses. That plus I have found some errors in his stuff as well. Crying shame. And a copy of the original book is over a hundred bucks, but a soft cover book in all color glory is available at Amazon for 15-20 bucks. Great for corporate history and acoustics and guitars, but junk for bass.

4. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    It's all so unfortunate. The B-40 is a great bass. The combo of the brass, tru-neck and pickup placement (P pickup much closer to the neck than a P bass) give it a truely unique sound.

5. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Sorry, I looked under and inside everything I could find. Nothing.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Crud. But thanks so much for your consideration to my asking. I appreciate your effort to assist,msact!
    Dang it, I want to see B40 WRITTEN on a bass 1979-1981 somewhere.