Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attracting event sponsorship

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

My band has been contracted to play a 12 night (two sets per night) gig at a high traffic local Halloween attraction. It's really a great opportunity and we are very excited about it. We are getting a minimum per night fee plus potential of a significant bonus if we prove to be a highly rated show at this event - which I expect we will.

A thought just occured to me last week however and I've cleared it through the venue - and that is the fact that there is nobody signed as sponsors for our show specifically. Coors and Pepsi are sponsoring the overall event of which we are a part, but there are many other attractions. There is nobody sponsoring our stage or our show however. So, I've talked to some local businesses (guitar stores, body art, etc.) about sponsoring us and have gotten strong interest, but so far no takers.

Have any of you guys been in this situation before and do you have any ideas on businesses that I may be overlooking?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Getting sponsors is a matter of knocking on doors and asking until someone ponies up the dough. Simple as that.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I think i can help you here. Sponsors were a big thing in my past. Find local and regional companys and get to the marketing person directly. Have info ready for the event,where, when if possible printed posters or something are a good start.Sponsors are only interested in you if you if you can rep them and give them something back for their investment. Your image as well as the shows image is vital to their buisness. You could use the angle of promotion say...give aways to people who attend the show...a free tat or money off coupons on your sponsors products or services...ask for coupons or promotional flyers for the biz and hire friends or family to hand them out to people attending the gig (pretty girls help here ;) ) The key to getting a sponsor is not who shells out cash its what sponsor is repped well by your event and how you look doing it...this is the key..approach them and remain professional and you will get them.

4. Thanks! I actually do outside sales as my "day job" so closing a deal isn't a problem. Just wondering about ideas on who to approach so I make the best use of my time. Good news though. Today I got a sponsor in a trade of services agreement and a local guitar store is donating the use of a pretty extensive professional lighting rig in lieu of $$. It's actually a good deal for us, because we agreed to supply the lights for the stage (outdoor stage, not typically set up for night shows) and this will save us more than we would have made off their sponsorship!

Anyway, got a lot of fish on the line. Just need to reel in a few more. Thanks for the input.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I guess, record stores,local clubs,local eaterys, sounds like you are in the right direction. I know a band that did a pomo of the event kinda like this.They got a local screenprinter to do t shirts on the gig and the haunted house...deal was the shirt had the band and house on front and the screenprinter as well as local merchs who helped sponsor and put on the event on the back (like those marathon t's you see). They got a big discount on the shirts which they gave away during the shows and sold...they made a few bucks and since the shirts looked cool everybody was buying them for like $8.00ea or 2 for $10.00 i think they paid $2-3.00 ea from the shop...just an idea.