1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Attractive "wife-friendly" living-room amps/cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This is just a whimsical question, no need to take it too seriously or read into it too far. But I was thinking about which combos and cabs out there are attractive enough, decorative enough, to pass as living room furniture and avoid the stink-eye of a non-musician spouse.

Off the top of my head there's the PJB Briefcase with the stained-wood body option; a Mesa Walkabout with custom tolex and wicker grille; and various high-dollar small tube amps a'la Jule.

What else is out there, and which specific ones have you admired or used? Pics welcome of course!

2. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Ampeg SVT/810 :bag:

3. :p

4. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Something that will fit in here. Buy two and let her use the second one for its intended purpose. We call that "win-win."

--Steve

[​IMG]

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Drape a decorative cloth over a 410, and velcro a micro-head to the back. Let her put a vase on it or something.

OBNXIOUS answer: Trade wife for more amps.

6. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    Aguilar cab with a color matching the head.. :D

7. wish Mesa did a few of their bass cabs like this:

View attachment 244539

There's always the DIY route, also.

8. Micro SVT VR?

9. 439_20100121123248.
    RRP: $16,998 :D

Put one either side of the television and she can tell people that they are part of the home theatre system.

AstroSonic likes this.
  10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Dig up some pics of Passinwind's DIY rigs, natural wood finish, look like nice furniture. If you're not handy like that, could hire a local carpener to take something you already have and like and just rebuild it into a pretty case.

Then there's a few companies that offer different color tolex, different style grillcloth, etc. Or could take ideas from old Gibson, Supro and other amps that look kinda art deco. Can get a local artist to help you with that.

I guess we'd start with your livingroom and design around that.:p

I know what you mean, I'm getting sick of all these plain-jain utilitarian black boxes I have laying around everywhere. Next one will be something different. Think maybe a forest green vinyl and some other grillcloth and maybe not a squaregrill but something odd shaped, like a Valve Jr., just bigger.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    AstroSonic, MYLOWFREQ and BadExample like this.
  12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Retrofit old tube radios and stereo cabinets, otherwise the furniture route is win-win...especially if you 'let her' (have her) pick it out and brag about how awesome it looks and works with all of your buddies when they come over...

...give her a little squeeze and thankyou now and again and any upgrading your new jam furniture will probably be suggested by her.

And those classy room dividers that double as recording baffles? Great if you have the space and need.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Very clever!

14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    The Ampeg PF cabs have a nice clean vintage look. Especially when you flip the head inside the cabinet.

15. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Just buy up a pretty-on-the-eyes early-mid 60s B15. You'd have everything you could ask for, and it would be like a museum display too!

16. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, it depends on the wife. Mine is happy with the Peavey 410 that has been by the window for maybe 6 years. It's not pretty like some of the others posted, but it does give HER (one of 4) dog a place to sit and watch for squirrels. dogs0111424x2136.

svtb15 and Microbass like this.
  17. bb03

bb03

Mar 1, 2009
    CT
    These cabs/combos are super nice looking...but are expensive, and have to be shipped from Germany.

BARABASS Amplification

18. JDtheBassPlayer

JDtheBassPlayer

Jul 27, 2011
    At first I thought "A huge Green Electric (or what ever color you prefer) would look so cool!" , but then I thought that just might be a huge distraction to the room ;) . You could go to Chicago Music Exchange and look at their vintage Gibsons or some other brand. Probably what I would do is get one of those huge combos cover it with a table cloth and try to pass it off as some oddly shaped table you would see at Ikea.

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Avoid ratfur, think wood or tolex... Even tweed. Top choice that come to mind are (no particular order)
    bag end
    Aguilar db series
    Ampeg b15 (or one of the siblings)
    Fender TV series amps