Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Instigator, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Instigator

Nov 5, 2003
    Canada man!
    I'm looking to buy an acoustic bass. i need something under 650$(canadian), and i need it to be a decent bass. what is the best bass i can get for that kinda money, and should i be able to get it at my local music store?
  2. Instigator

Nov 5, 2003
    Canada man!
    i took a look at that site and asked around a bit.m i'm told that washburns are normally a good call(and thats what my electric is, so i'ma bit biased there) but i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the washburn ab10 was like, how much and most importantly, IS IT WORTH IT???
    l8er daze
  3. I dig the tone that James 'Hutch' Hutchinson - Bass/Vocals (from Bonnie Raitts band) gets and he uses the Washburn's worth the money IMHO.

4. Budget ABG:
    I bought a Olympia bass from Tacoma as a compromise. It was something I could take anywhere. I found out that I loved the sound of the bass. But it needed some work! So I put in B Bands ast and ust pickups with an onboard preamp, had the frets dressed, and changed the saddle, The bass was 325 us and the preamp wa/pickups werearound 175us, the saddle was 35 us.
    Wow what a difference! I love the sound from this bass I think it sounds better then the tacomas. If they have more then one instock check the basses for intonation . I was able to find one with good intonation.
    I know it seems like alot of work . It is worth it. This bass is set up to play. Of course you need a reliable repair guy.
    Again this may seem like alot of work but to me this bass was the most alive of the bunch in its price range even with all the work put into it.

I would recommend Raven Labs buffer box or their M.I. imput box to boost the signal to your amp.
  5. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Mark - could you provide a little more detail on the pup mods you made. I've got a Tacoma that I bought with the stock pup & preamp in it (skimped on the Fishman upgrade), and ended up buying a Fishman preamp/eq so that I could calm the feedback. I'm still having feedback issues, but they're not nearly as bad.

* How did the new pups and preamp improve the sound?

* Link to a website about the system?

* Is it a difficult upgrade to DIY?

thanks...and sorry for the diversion.

I'd recommend an Olympia over a Washburns. Tacoma basses are generally loud enough on their own to stand up to one or two acoustic guitars without an amp. Most AGBs out there can't do that...
  6. I have owned a few ABG's over the years, Tacoma,Martin,Taylor and now the Olympia. Used them for folk to jazz gigs.

The tacoma does present feedback problems. The B Band transducers will give you a more lively and truer sound and you should be able to control feedback problems with their on board preamps. They have a couple of different models and you can choose the one that fits your needs.
    If the problem still persists Raven Labs True blue Eq really helps molding your sound too.

I am a klutz when it comes to doing things myself so I found a repair guy who was good and liked to install new things. His work was great,lucky for me, and I now have better control over my tone and volume.
    B Band should come up on a search for you.
    BTW...The feedback problem was why I sold the Tacoma and I never liked the modern voicing of the ABG. Please forgive any spelling errors
  7. My Guild B4CE has the fishman- pre on board and I have never has any feed back problems with it.

8. Treena the guild you have is an excellant ABG and is not prone to excessive feedback. The Tacoma however is a big bodied bass and has a tendency to feedback if you are not careful.