1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere 4 band + Duncan QP P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassn00b11, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Anyone using this setup?

I currently have the SPB3 and SJB3 in a MIJ Fender. I really like the bottom and top ends of the tone on these pickups, but I find the mids to be a bit thin. I thought that getting an Audere Z 4 band preamp with low and high mid control would help round out the middle, but I'm not sure if it is worth the investment.

I am looking to see if anyone else on here has done this and what the results were. I love the bass, love the pickups for the most part and just want a little bit of control/boost in the mid range to finally dial in "the" tone in my head.

2. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    No input?

3. I used to have Quarter Pounders and removed them because they are too mid scooped, no matter what the EQing was, all bass and treble, no mid punch. An Audere may help however I believe it can only work with the fundamental sound you have already, it cannot create more mids, can somebody correct me if I am wrong....

4. Your problem won't be solved by adding a preamp. The quarter pounder is an extreme smiley face eq sounding preamp (mid scooped).

When I used them, I had to to a pretty big bass and treble cut and boost the mids to get a decent cutting middy sound.

If you are looking for mids, just get rid of this set. A preamp is not meant to be corrective, it's for making small adjustements to the natural sound of the bass, especially the audere.

5. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Hmm...that's kind of what I thought. The thing is I really like the bottom and top end on these pickups, I just want a little bit more meat on the bones so to speak.

Well, I'm getting the Audere regardless because the current pre on the bass isn't really doing anything right now and I want to add new anyway so we'll see what it does.

If it doesn't give me what I want, I'll just pull the Seymours and get some Nordy's or Wizards.

*edit* and btw, I am not looking for mids just a bit more mid on these pickups. I'm not trying to dial in a mid centric tone, but do want to add a little bit to what's already there. Basically I want to round out the bottom and top a bit instead of presenting a totally top and bottom heavy tone. A little bit on the low mid, a little bit on the high mid to round out the tone as opposed to a sharp contrast between the top and bottom. Not sure if I am conveying the sound I want across correctly...but hopefully you get the idea.