1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audere and J-retro... Again

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    In the past 2 weeks I modded 2 basses:
    1. Aguilar jazz pickups with J-Retro
    2. Dimarzio jazz pickups the Audere Deluxe and 6 knob switch.
    Out of the box, the J-Retro was very usable. I took it to practice, it sat nicely in the mix, the color that I get in active mode sits well in a mix, and it was a joy to use. Fairly intuitive with the stacked volume/blend treble/bass mid/sweep controls.

The Audere replaced an Aguilar OBP-1. I took it to a mock show and it did not cut through the mix regardless of what I tried. Completely my fault, the manual says it is tuned for a Fender Jazz bass. With the 6 way rotary dial you get 17 configuration choices, and it is really easy to program. I chose 6, with position 1 being "bypass"', position 4 being vintage, position 6 as modern, and 3 other tones that just sound good with the bass.

I like the J-Retro a little better because I don't tweak it as much. It's always kind of right and really easy to boost and sweep the mids to fit in the mix in the sweet spot.

Between the Z-mode, low mid, high mid, treble, bass... It can be a little over whelming and with so many choices I tend to over think it sometimes and tweek instead of play.

Both are really solid!

If I had to do it again, I would probably make e same choice and go with the J-Retro on the 4 string and Audere on the 5 string. Primarily because of the way the Zmodes impact the tone of the B string.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How's the background hiss on these?