1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere and Nordstrand - too many options - need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim Dombrowski, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm buying a used Lakland 55-01 fretless and planning to replace the pickups and preamp.

I've been considering an Audere preamp and a pair of Nordstrand pickups, but I am overwhelmed by the configuration choices.

What's the difference between the Audere "Z switch" versus coil tap switches for the pickups? I understand they both provide tonal options, but how do they differ? I don't think I would want both. Another option would be the Nord pickups with coil taps and an Aguilar 3-band preamp.

Also, can anyone provide comments on the Audere 4-band EQ versus a 3-band EQ with switchable mids?

Thanks,

Jim D

2. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Email David Meadows at Audere. He can answer the Audere questions easily.

3. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've sent emails to David Meadows and Carey Nordstrand, but I'm also interested in the comments of people here.

jd

4. FYI, nobody can give you better info on this particular topic than those two.

They're both total experts and they're also very nice (and extremely patient/helpful) guys.

They won't steer you wrong.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    im going with an audere 4 band preamp with coils taps for nordie dual coils on my custom im having built....should be a great setup!

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have an Audere 4 band and Nord DC's in my fretless roscoe, and I can't say enough good things about them. The nord DC's are out of this world good sounding!! You really can't go wrong with those pickups. The only question is series or parallel wiring, and you should ask Carey about that.

As for the Audere, for fretless, its 4 band all the way, those mid controls are seriously powerful, and the freq. points are perfect for me. The Z switch is pretty cool, I usually leave it in mid Z mode and do all my tone shaping with the EQ. I would like to see more throw on the bass and treble controls to match the potency of the hi mid/low mid, and a more usable passive tone (not just a battery failsafe).

All in all though, for a fretless, I think the Audere is ideal. Fat, thick, and growly, yet somehow really clean too.

mmmmmmmmmm

7. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Jake, thanks for the informative reply.

I tried to listen to the MP3s on your site, but couldn't get them to download.

Jim D

8. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I put Dual Coils in my 55-01 a few weeks ago and the more I play them ,the more I like them, they're really great pickups.
    Mine are wound for Parallel operation and even though I have Series/Single Coil/ Parallel switches I find i'm using the Parallel mode 80% of the time. I don't have any practical experience with the Audere Pre's, mine has a bart NTMB-L and I think it sounds pretty good, that said I do think a Fretless 55-01 w/ Audere 4 band pre, Dual Coils or Fat Stacks is VERY tempting.
    I know that this hasn't helped your decision much, but I don't think you'll go wrong with 3 or 4 band Audere and Series or Parallel wound Dual Coils.

Bill

9. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    hmm, thats wierd.

None of those tracks feature the new fretless anyways. All that fretless stuff is my old acacia.

let me know if you want to hear some, I can email you the mp3's.

10. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Jake: I have no problem with your MP3's. Sounds great by the way!

11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jake...send some to me! emjazz@hotmail.com

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jim,
    I replied to your e-mail the other day, but your post gives me a LOT more to work with than did your origianal e-mail. Just a few thoughts pertaing to your questions...treating the Audere prea and the Nordstrand pickups differently. Nothing can beat David's site for techical information, but for a more simplistic "real world" perspective...

Audere Preamp:

I have been getting a lot of hands-on experience with the Audere JZ3 preamp since we're using it in all of the top-route Nordy vJ basses. The 3-way Z switch on the JZ3 model essentially works out as follows: with the straight up, it sounds as if everything is essentially set flat on the bass with the passive tone rolled all the way up. If you flick the switch down, you get an accentuation of the treble frequencies...as if you were to boost the treble on an active 2-band preamp to about 7-10. By throwing the toggle down, you can really fatten things up. The result is what you might get by rolling the passive tone back about 3-4 notches or by cutting the treblea bit and gently boosting the bass on an active 2-band pre.

Nordstrand "soapbars":

I feel like a broken record here, but just because the Fat Stacks and Dual Coils are the same size and look similar, they are very different pickups. The 'Stacks are designed to deliver a jazz bass vibe but in a fatter sounding pickup that will still deliver a killer slap response. By adding a coil tap to the 'Stacks, you effectively convert them into Big Singles, giving you a huge, raw, P-bass like tone...old school all the way. The Dual Coils can either be wired in series or parallel, both giving you very different tones. In parallel, you'll get what most people typically refer to as a "modern", "hi-fi" tone with boosted highs and boosted lows. By wiring the pickup in series, it will have a higher output and the mids will be accentuated. This is the version that is used in Roscoe basses as an alternative to the standard Bartolini soapbar. By taping this pickup, you will get a tone that approximates the sound of what most people associate with a singlecoil jazz pickup.

I hope that sheds some additional light on your questions above. :)

14. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    JPJ: Thanks for your response. Stew at Nordstrand had very similar descriptions of the pickup differences. Here's a question I asked him in response:

By using the tone controls and/or coil tap switches, is it easer to tame the Fat Stacks if I feel they’re TOO aggressive; or, is it easier to add some aggressiveness to the Dual Coils if I feel they’re TOO lush and modern?

Jim D

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    JPJ, your comments have me real interested in the Big Singles.

FWIW, my CB has Dual Coils (Series) and it is easily the punchiest, fattest, most alive and monstrous bass I've ever played. The thing just screams.