1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere Hiss!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    So I've read a couple of stories in relation to hiss and Audere and now I have my own to add.

I had a Classic 4 band pre installed into an MTD Kingston Heir 5 with Bartolini CB pickups. The sound is amazing, but the hiss is not so much.

I; like the others, checked and double checked the wiring and could not find anything awry. I even made measurements with a digital multimeter.

At the moment, I have e-mailed Audere for some perspective on some very specific questions and I hope I don't get pointed back to the instructions.

I hope I get this all worked out because I love having 4-band EQ and the sound is great. Wish me luck!

2. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Still working on it. Much thanks to Dave for the help so far.

3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Well, I gave up. I guess the Audere just didn't like my bass. Be on the lookout for this preamp in the classified. Coming soon.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I keep reading reviews that say it's dead quiet. I haven't been so fortunate. I don't remember my aguilar having this much hiss...

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Oh, there's another thread. I'll mess with it some more.

6. Of course, I ordered a brand new one two days ago. I would have taken yours.

7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Mine is a jazz. Looks like you got the 3zb. It sounds so good I think I'll just live with it.

8. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I've got a 3ZB in my Bartolini loaded Garz singlecut ... it's dead quiet.
    Do you have the treble vol cranked? IME ... that's usually the culprit ... especiall with my old Aguilar OBP-3. Maybe it doesn't like your pickups.

Good Luck with it.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It's not too bad if I leave the treble flat, but it's there. It makes the same amount hiss with the pickups disconnected.

I've been playing passives for five years. Maybe that has something to do with it.

10. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I use to own a Kingston heir 5 too, with audere classic 4 band and nordstrand mm4.2 pickup and there's no hiss at all!!! Even whe the treble is fully cranked up i can BARELY not to say no hiss!!!

I had an obp-1 in this bass before which made more hiss then the audere!!!

You should bring it to a technician or you should send the preamp back to audere to have them take a look at it!!!

11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    This is interesting. I've read several post confirming my results, but then the majority of users find it quieter than most of the competition. :confused:

I would send it in if I didn't have doubts that there's anything wrong with it. :meh:

I have my Aguilar laying around somewhere. I'll wire it up and report later.

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I figured it out. (I think)

The Audere noisefloor is negligable when I plug into my mixer. There is barely any change in the overall noise level even with the treble up 2/3 from center detent.

It's unique design might be contributing to the contradictory results from some users. Some amps might be exaggerating the noise level for whatever reason. It would be interesting to see what amps hiss sufferers are using.

13. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

This was the issue for me. I love my trusty old Peavy Microbass practice amp to death, but there's some extra noise with treble boost or in Low-Z or High-Z modes.

At first I thought it was the preamp. Emailed Dave at Audere several times, and he mentioned that amplifier design can play a role in issues due to his preamps unique design.

I haven't tried wiring up a cable with a built in resistor, but after plugging into a few other amps and mixers, I can verify that it's not the preamp simply being noisy.. rather it's the preamp in conjunction with my practice amp. Which is really no biggie. :)

14. Interesting thread. I installed a 3ZB in My Lakland 55-94 with Barts and have been frustrated with the hiss. It's not awful in low z mode (more than I'm use to), but too much in high z for sure. I have assumed it's because of the low output of the Barts. I'll be checking to see if different direct boxes or pedals make a difference. I had a Demeter with upgraded op-amps in it for years and it was great but became unreliable, then an Aguilar OBP-1 which I thought was a bad combination with that bass. Just too boomy. Now with the Audere it is noisy enough for me to not take it to sessions. I'll start messing with it again because of this thread.