1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere in Lakland Daryl Jones

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lm183902, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone know if an Audere Jazz plate will fit in a Daryl Jones? I really want a DJ, but would like it to be active.

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    It will not fit because the DJ control plate is curved, but you could probably contact them and they could make a curved control plate.

3. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    You'll have to drill new screw holes in the body and reshape the pickguard slightly but it can be done.

4. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Audere doesn't make control plates, but you can order a control plate from Lakland. No need to drill holes or cut the pickguard!

5. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hi-
    I just installed an Audere preamp (JZ3-VB) in my Lakland DJ4 Skyline bass (not the Lazz plate that you are referring to). It sounds absolutely amazing. Seriously.
    I sent a PM to TBer David Meadows (TB username is Audere), you can PM him with any questions you may have.
    When you place the order for the preamp on the Audere website, you have to specify in your order (one of the fields where you can enter text) that it is for a Lakland Darryl Jones 4 string bass, this way, they mount the electronics to the curved plate.
    You will either have to drill 2 new holes in your existing plate (1 for the Z-Mode switch, and 1 for the Battery indicator light), or you can order a new one from lakland (I chose to drill my existing plate, so I do not know how much Lakland charges for a new plate).

Extremely worthwile upgrade, IMO.
    Scott C

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

So are you saying that Audere now has a drop in system with DJ plate now, or that you would need to use the existing plate and drill holes for the switch and led?

7. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    They don't supply the curved plate. You have to drill the holes. I did on mine. Actually, I just drilled the hole for the Z switch. I left the LED inside the cavity.

8. Lakland charged me $25 for a new plate for a Skyline JO5. A plate for the DJ probably cost the same.

9. CElton

Thanks! Please forgive my ignorance here, so you essentially get the guts of the preamp and put the new pots through the holes of your current plate, hook up the pups and your in? Of course, this is after drilling your hole for the switch and LED.

I put a JZ5D in a jazz I had and it was basically drop it in and go.

10. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Exactly, that is all that needs to be done.
    On a side note, I had band practice again last night, this was the second time that I got to use my bass since installing the Audere. I played through a crappy amp in a rehearsal studio, and once again, blown away by the range of sounds from this preamp. From full, to fat, to punchy, and everything inbetween. And I wasn't even using the Low-Z mode, just using it in the normal position. Amazing preamp!

11. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It's really an easy installation and its soderless.

DJ5_Audere.

12. Local guy charged me $60 to install mine . Two small holes . I also had him install a battery box in the back of my DJ5 .
    I was turned on to the Audere from Brian at Lakland (sales) because I could not afford a J Retro . If I went with the Retro , i would have priced me rigfht out of the bass .
    Easy to use , sounds great .

13. CElton

Does anyone know if you can use the traditional Fender Jazz knobs with the Audere? Like the ones that come on the DJ stock. I would prefer to retain that retro look so to speak. If I go with a two band, I realize the B/T knob would need to be stacked.

14. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    The problem is with the stacked knobs. I have the vol/Balance-Mid Stacked/Bass-Treble stacked model, and the only knob that you could use the traditional knob on would be the volume knob, I can't think of a way to use a traditional knob with the stacked pots.

15. CElton

They make stacked or concentric jazz knobs, but I will need to check the shaft diameter to see if they will match up.

Thanks...

16. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France

Solderless ?

Does it means that there is a special system to connect pickups and ground ?

Usualy even on pre-wired preamp, you have to solder the pickups, ground and jack socket.

Thanks

17. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    YEP, it has a little screw-in terminal.

18. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    wow, brilliant !
    ;)

19. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    So if I ordered a JZ3 and wanted to try it out in a Fender for a while and then transplant it to a DJ4 how could I do that? Do they do something different if you say it will eventually be in a Lakland?

20. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Boba Fret-
    To the best of my knowledge, the issue with your scenario is that when you want to mount one of the Audere preamps in a Lakland DJ bass, you need to order it special from Audere, specifying that you want to install it in a DJ. The problem is that the plate that the controls mount to have different hole/shaft locations than that of the mounting plate for a Fender Jazz bass, therefore you will not be able to mount the same preamp in a DJ4.
    As always, I may be wrong about this. Your best bet is to contact TB Member Audere, you can send him a PM. That is how I got all the details in order to purchase my Audere.