1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audere Jazz pre w/passive pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chief redcok, Aug 17, 2012.

1. So Im in the process of making a Jazz bass of my own, I already have 2 single coil Fralin hum-cancelling pups in the body, would getting an Audere pre be a good idea? Sorry if I sound stupid, just heard some stuff about active pre with passive pups is a no-go. Let me know!

2. When I'm talking about my Fralins, its the Split-Jazz Bass Replacement Style pickups.. as they are called on the site.. Just dont want you guys to be mixed up with the other Jazz ones.

Thanks again.

3. Preamps are almost always paired with passive pickups, and especially the Audere in particular, as it has a variable input impedance effect of some sort that will not do much with the low output impedance of an active pickup.

4. Thank you! Now I feel extra stupid for listening to stupid people! Thanks

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Audere is a great choice, and the preamp with passive pickups is probably the most common setup in the bass world.

6. In fact, at the exception of EMG pretty much no one else makes active pickups but I hear this confusion often.

7. MEC and Seymour Duncan make them. They are a rarity, however.

Oh, and I hear some Ibanez basses have active pickups.

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    And Pedulla uses custom active bartolini pickups.

9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I built-up a mongrel J years ago w/LF split-pole J's and the Audere Z-setup. It has an alder body w/an ebony board and flatwound GHS strings w/a brass nut. It sounds flat-out awesome! - super old school w/incredible punch and in-the-pocket tone for miles. Can't say enough about this mix - no way you won't like it. :bassist: