Audere JZ3 install help needed - there's too many wires

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tranceFusion, Jul 9, 2008.

1. So the instructions seem to indicate that I should have 2, maybe 3 wires per pickup. I have 4. One is white and 3 are black. I am assuming the black are some type of common or ground as they were all soldered together and to the bottom of the bridge pickup pot..

The bass is a MIJ '75 Fender Jazz RI..

seems to have fairly standard single coil pickups.. i don't know what the deal is. Where do I put all these wires?

2. Well blow me down with a feather.

I thought I was hard done by with three from a MIJ Fender Jazz, but 4? White is the hot lead. So try all the others together and see if it works.

Davo

3. After installing 2 Bart pre-wired pre-amps in two of my basses, I'm taking the next one to a luthier. What a pain - especially if it's not grounded properly when you're all done.

Pack it up and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Z

4. Davo - what did you do? tie them together and stick them in the common?

5. ok, i needed to disassemble the thing to see what was going on..

EACH PICKUP: 1 white, 1 black
    UNDER EACH PICKUP: 1 black wire running to a metal plate
    PLUS 1 black wire running to metal plate in cavity
    PLUS 1 black wire running to bridge

8 total wires..

I'm going to assume that the black ones coming out of the pickups will go to the common receptors and everything else will go to ground?

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    white and black from the pickup go to the screw terminals on the preamp. The other blacks form the shielding plates and bridge go to ground.

7. that seemed to do the trick.. one black and one white pickup wire into the screwed connectors and everything else crimped to the ground wire..

i'll say that the fact that this requires no soldering is a bit deceiving.. i'd rather have soldered it than use those crappy screw connectors..

anyway my woman is sleepin so i can only listen through some headphones.. i cant wait to blast thing tomorrow..

8. Well done Sir. I say DIY. You learn so much more that way.

Davo

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

10. thanks guys..

Good thinking on the masking tape. I had a hard enough time getting the wires and stuff all into the cavity though.

I don't like to go to the luthier.. he charges me alot, doesn't spend as much time getting to know the ins and outs of the instrument/equipment as i would, and then i know nothing so i can't continually tweak it down the line.

so what is with the lo-z thing? The higher I turn it the more low end I will get, right (but with a risk of distorting)?

11. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

The low-Z adjustments are just a pair of gain knobs, one for each pickup. They change the gain level in low-Z but not the tone.

You use it to match volumes between low-Z and mid/high-Z so there isn't a huge gain change when you switch modes during performance.

With my 3ZB, out of the box the low-Z was a fair bit louder than mid-Z so I had to spend a bit of time adjusting them down and matching them. Low-Z still sounds a tiny bit louder, but that's because of the low frequency emphasis.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

I'm fortunate to have a luthier in the area that is happy to work on my stuff, doesn't charge an arm & a leg and dig's that I'm interested in what he's doing. He does a job that is so much better than what I can do, it totally makes sense to use him. Now I take my basses in and essentially tell him what I want done - he's got the mad skills to make it happen. So I've learned and do simple stuff and leave the heavy lifting to him.

Far as how you adjust the z-mode - it's a matter of taste. I don't believe that I need large fixed volume jumps on a switch so I have my low - z dialed for a slight increase in the low end. I essentially treat it as a warming switch. Hi Z I have dialed back a bit so I get a subtle brightening.

It would be just as valid to put a big bump on the low-z mode if you felt it useful to have a 'whack' switch. It's just a matter of taste.

13. ok geez.. i guess it would have made sense if i actually read about what Z-modes were.. i was thinking this switch was just a pickup selector.

the switch position towards the bridge is the high z right?

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    LOl .. yep. Brite to the back, warm to the front. How warm is that dialing in process, how brite is a matter of inserting cap's onto the board of the pre. Dave sells a batch of cap's with their leads trimmed to fit into the little sockets. You can also snag your own at Rat Shack and trim them to fit. I've never bothered ...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021