1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere JZ3 owners! 2 band or 3 band?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rappa29, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Been checking out all the positive comments about the Audere Jazz Pre. Considering getting one.

Question is...which one? 2 or 3 band? They're both the same price ($150). Major differences being the 3 band has MID control and BLEND. 2 band only Treble\Bass and V\V.

Is it a no brainer to just get the 3? Even if I don't tweak my MIDs at all, at least I'll have the option. Whereas if I get the 2 and end up wishing I had MID control, I'm stuck!

Just wondering why they're the same price. Seems that the 3 is the best deal even if I never end up using the MID control.

Do any of you own the 2 band?

TIA!

2. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I opted for the 3 band for my Geddy. I like the versatility. The only thing I didn't like was the tight fit of the battery.

3. If I remember correctly, the 2-band eq has different center frequencies for the lows and highs than the 3-band. So it won't be quite the same as just not having a mid control. Also some people prefer two volume controls to a blend. Audere explains this better on their site, but think of it like this... With a blend, the summed total of both pickup "amounts" has to add up to 100%. In other words, if you want 20% bridge pickup, you have to have 80% neck pickup. With separate volume controls, you can run your neck pickup wide open AND run your bridge p'up at 20%. While you can probably arrive at the same sound either way with some fiddling, some people just prefer two volume controls over a blend. In the end, it's really just personal preference (always is).

Brian

P.S. For what it's worth, I'm considering getting an Audere preamp, and I'm looking at the 3-band with blend control.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The mid control on the Audere is probably the nicest I've played--very musical. It seems cut through without being honky or unnatural sounding.

The frequency centers are slightly different with the 2-band than the 3-band. The treble is lower (2.5kHz vs. 3.7kHz) and the bass control is higher (100Hz vs. 80Hz), so the bass and treble controls will not sound exactly the same on the 2-band and the 3-band. Only you can decide which is better in that sense...

Mike

5. Thanks for the detailed explanations! Now I have a better focus of which one I want to get.

The Blend explanation makes perfect sense! Has me leaning towards the 2 band considering I'm accustomed to the 2 vol controls.

Thanks guys!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought the 3-bander last night...why?
    I prefer one(1) Volume control w/ a blend pot. That's all...
    ;)

7. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm kinda in the same boat... I'm also looking an Audere JZ3. I have always been a fan of having 2 volume controls (gives you a lot more control than a blend), so I didn't even want to look at the 3 band... but as I read more and more reviews... everyone raves about the mid control. I'm torn.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I prefer two volumes, too, but I do really like having the midrange. Fortunately, the Curbow Jazz I installed my JZ3 in had a side output jack, so they were willing to configure mine like the 2-band but with the mid in the 4th control plate hole (V-V-T/B-M).

Of course, now there's a new JZ3 configuration for basses with a side jack that also adds a passive tone control, which would be nice to have....

Mike

PS: I notice you're in Omaha. Give me a holler if you want to check out the Audere in person...