1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

audere or not?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yngwiewho1, Mar 13, 2009.

1. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    Well guys, I am in the middle of a predicament. I am a (death) metal bassist, and i currently play a spector legend 6 string with 2 emg ssd pickups and a 2 band active eq. I am swapping the pickups out with 2 emg-tw's, and I was thinking about getting an audere classic 4 band eq to go with them, however i've been hearing things about them being loud. the other brands ive been looking at are aguilar, acg, delano, and nordstrand, but im leaning to the aguilar if i dont get the aguilar. what I'd like is some ppl who have used these preamps to chime in and let me know what they think about them.

2. MCBass85

MCBass85

Jan 10, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I have the Audere pre in my roscoe I like it a lot. Very transparent and I really dig the Z selector. It does have a lot of output but I havn't had a problem with clipping anything I didn't want to... Pretty rare to find a piece of gear without some sort of input pad. The other preamp that I like a lot is the Sadowsky. It's totally different from the Audere but a great pre in it's own right. I have had zero experience with EMG pickups so i can't comment on how they would perform with the audere or any other Pre.

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    They really don't have a signature sound IMO crystal clear

Love the Z switch

:) ... Lets my Dark Stars shine through!

4. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Gold Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Aren't there trim pots on the Audere board for adjusting the output levels?

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, I can't really comment on the Audere being loud. In my case I've got it paired with Nordstrand Fat Stacks which are somewhat low output.

What I can say is that the Audere is very transparent. With the Z switch in the middle position and the controls set flat, it is REALLY flat. Pretty much zero coloration. Just the sound of the pickups. And while really versatile, the boost and cut of the bass/mids/treble isn't what I'd call extreme.

My other two actives currently have the ACG pre (incredibly cool) and the Aguilar OPB-3. The Aggie has a more aggressive tone to my ears and is capable of more extreme EQ settings.

I'd get the Audere if you just want the sound of your pickups with more control over the EQ.

6. MCBass85

MCBass85

Jan 10, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    You can only adjust the output level when switched to low Z

7. Audere does not boost the overall volume like some preamps can when flat, my nordstrands+audere combo has a lower output than my MIA Jazz with stock pickups

8. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    The Audere can sound fantastic, but may require a bit of tinkering. too many knobs and switches for me, but transparent when you want it and a lot of color if you need it.

Peace

9. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    well there is a whole thread about people having issues with it hissing. and im not going to have that z mode because i would be getting the classic, which doesnt have the zmode settings because those are for passive pickups. although ppl reported the problem with both, and no one has found a fix.

10. 4 band classic is a permanent mid-z mode.

11. Hawk_GP

Hawk_GP

Oct 5, 2005
    Really?...just wondering if this is what I'm looking for...quote from someone here
    "One thing I LOVE about the preamp so far is how DEAD QUIET it is. No noise, no hiss... nothing. I had the 3 bands of the preamp at 100% and there was no unwanted noise."

I did a search and was reading up on Audere preamp and came across both type responses. It would be cool beans if everyone would list the pups and wiring setup they did when speaking of work'n and hiss fest setups with the Audere preamp setup....