1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audere Pot Shafts too long?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Guys,

I had a tech install an Audere 4band into an old Carvin LB76 of mine this week. He called me last night to let me know it was ready, but he warned me that the pot shafts were really long, and as a result the knobs stick off the bass. Of course if one gets hit, it could bend the shaft and damage it.

I haven't seen the bass in sight yet, and for all I know the knobs may not be that far off the body, ( I mean a 16th or 24th of an inch shouldn't be that bad I suppose right?) but has anyone else had this sort of problem before when swapping preamps? Is there a potential fix? Or do you guys think the tech doesn't know what he was doing?

I talked with another member on here who had somewhat of the same setup done, and he let me know he had no issues at all. Weird.....

Ideas? Thoughts?

2. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Does your tech own a saw?

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A washer or two between the pot and body (inside the cavity) would drop the height.

4. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I suppose I thought of this first, but wasn't sure if it was a viable workaround or not....

I know with the hardware given to him he probably ran out of washers, so I suppose I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store to grab a few more washers to make this possible.

By any chance does anyone know off hand what sizes Audere uses?

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I would think a good tech would have a drawer full of extra washers or nuts on hand.

6. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    Find a new tech, quickly.

7. Exactly what I was going to say. What "tech" needs to be supplied something so cheap and universal?

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, is it the shaft the knob goes onto, or the threaded part? I'm guessing it's the threaded part since these are standard pots.

So he needs to add a few washers. Most people use lock washers like this:

Mojo Washers ยป Pot Lock Washers

Pot-Lock-Washers-image.

If he doesn't have stuff like this, and doesn't know to use them, he's not a very adequate tech.

9. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Yes, no saw. There's no need for what's provided from Audere. Anyway, they are also using stacked pots and I wouldn't want to take a saw to that. I somehow pictured pot shafts that are two inches long.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's why they come with extra nuts and lock washers.

11. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Even still, he may have run out....Unless he never used them...

I'll have to see what's up when I pick up the bass tomorrow. Stay tuned for details.

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Unless he does this as a hobby, he shouldn't run out. You can even get them in Radio Shack. The fact that he said the shafts are too long, and didn't say that he ran out of washers shows that he probably didn't know any better.

13. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    So ummm yeah. I think the guy didn't really know what he was doing. Talked to David at Audere who told me how to lower the knobs which the tech should be doing soon. He told me the tech should have had more than enough to accomplish what he needs but also gave me the size of the washers/nuts if needed.

Attached is an image of the knobs; it ain't pretty. Heck, one of 'em ain't even straight at the moment. Big problem. The bass is upside down when I snapped the pic, so the strings face the bottom of the screen.

Attached Files:

14. If the cavity isn't deep enough, he will not be able to add washers. This only comes to mind to me since I just installed a different Audere in my AVRI75 J. If my pot shafts were actually too long, I'd be screwed because the is no room in the cavity to lower anything!

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That looks to me that the stacked knobs just aren't on all the way. And the bottom half might be up side down. Usually they fit over the nuts because they are hollow underneath, and then the top knob sits in a small recess.

16. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Looks like everything is good to go. He picked up some lock washers to get everything worked out. Thanks guys!