1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere Pre-Amp with Z Mode...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rudyboy98, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Hello All:

Well, I have a question for you guys...

I have an Audere pre-amp with what appear to be sealed micro pots. Is there any way to clean those? I'm not too savvy on the electronics side and I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

R...

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I don't think those pots can be diassambled or cleaned, sorry. Are you noticing any noise when you rotate the pots?

3. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I had this happen with an Audere too. You just have to buy replacements from them...

4. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Yes, I am getting some noise when rotating the pots...I guess that is a disadvantage on these digital pots. They're only 2 years old! Yikes! I hope that it doesn't become an expensive undertaking to have to replace them. Is Bartolini any better or is this the same issue with any other preamp setups you guys know about?

R...

5. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    No idea, after the Audere underwhelmed me (pots issue and didn't think the sound was that much better) I went back to 100% passive.

6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm not sure what you mean by "digital pots" but I can tell you that the Audere pots can be replaced by any standard 100K pots, whose tapers are audio (log) for volume controls or linear for EQ/tone or blend controls. I've tried this and it worked just fine.

If your pots are noisy and replacing them does NOT fix the issue, then you should check your pickups for grounding issues. I had this problem and eventually traced it down to a short inside my pickup between the common lead and the internal shield. Since the common lead for the pickups is a floating ground (halfway between 0V and your total battery voltage) any shorts here can produce many bad side effects, including an icky scratching noise (with a rumbling subsonic component) when turning any pots, including the EQ controls. It didn't make any sense until I realized this was the cause of the problem. (It's documented on the Audere site, I think.)

I solved this problem by disconnecting the pickup's shield lead, and relying on cavity shielding only. You may want to try this first before you go to the trouble of replacing the pots. Unfortunate this seems to be unique to Audere (in my experience) since these are the only internal preamps which treat the pickups this way. Once I solved the problem, the formerly scratchy pots sounded as smooth and as quiet as you would expect.

7. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Ah! I'll check that out. That's why TB is so great! So many people out there willing to help each other...and of one accord: To take over the world by driving the low end frequencies to infinity and beyond!!! (The last part may not be mine, but I'll use whatever I can... LOL!)

8. I had this EXACT problem too. After I disconnected the shield lead, the preamp was quiet. Unfortunately, the pickup in question had exposed pole pieces which, unshielded, would make crackling noises if touched.

Apparently the Z-mode preamp is not intended for use with broken pickups. :D