1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere preamp good for Marcus tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 20, 2006.

1. I just ordered a KSD 705 and I'm expecting that i might have to swap out the stock preamp for something better.
    I'm not into the J retro.Too many knobs and choices.I want Pan/Vol/Treble and Bass nothing more.
    I read about the Audere which looks very interesting even though it has a few more bells and whistles that i want. I saw that the frequency centers are different from that OBP 1s and Sadowskys that I have been using.So I'm hesitant to take a chance on the Audere.
    Question:Is there anyone here who likes the Marcus tone and uses an Audere preamp?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'm guessing if you get response it won't be much cause you're talking a narrow window.

Call Audere and look at reviews in general to see what guys say. I'm guessing it's broad spectrum since it's afermarket - unlike the Sad which Roger has particular applications in mind for. Sads and Alembics are very different as a result. Barts, Aggies, and EMG's to me are interchangeable. Where Audere fits into that mix I have no clue cause I've never had one.

3. I have a couple of basses with the OBP 1 and one Bass with a Sadowsky.They seem really similar.Do you agree?Both of them have boost only on the same frequency.
    I'll probably go with the OBP 1 for the KSD.Cheaper than the Sadowsky.I foung out in the meantime the Audere won't work for me because I can't get it with a Pan/Vol/Treble/Bass/ configuration on individual pots.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Never really thought about it, but I can see that take.

The OBP 1 I had in a bass with Duncan hot P/Js when I had wall full of actives. For some reason I removed the pre and I couldn't tell ANY difference in the sound, so I sold it. I agree with other interpretations that it's transparent. Hard to get any more transparent than that.

I wondered about the others so I removed them and stuck them in outboard form to check. That arrangement worked so well I ran outboards for a while and realized they didn't do much besides boost/cut (EMG, Bart, OBP-3). Seems the EMG's did give clear edge to EMG actives that wasn't there with other pre's or with just the pups themselves. Anyway, I had boost/cut in my amp and didn't need it onboard so I sold them.

I picked up the Sad outboard and the first thing I did was give it a little manual mode cause my first thought was, is this thing working? It's that subtle. Adds a very unique and somewhat addictive edge to an already good tone that you pretty much have to play for a while then hit the by-pass to appreciate what it does. It won't make a junk bass sound decent like the Sans. It adds a nice presence and the bass/treble controls work well together can really be fine tuned for even more subtle variatons.

So, yeh I'd say in my experience the OBP-1 and Sad or more alike than any two other pres I've had compared to them.

5. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I like the Marcus tone,put an Audere in my old Jazz, and have used it a handful of times since. It satisfies my MMtone thirst and more.It has that musical tight pop and nice thumb thing.The thumb is not as hyped as my fender MM bass, but it sounds great. Between the z modes and tone controls, there is a wide spectrum of "usable" tones. I haven't had an aggie or sad. in a bass so I can't compare to them, but I really dig the Audere.

6. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I have the KSD 705 with the original preamp. I would recommend giving it a try, cause mine gets the job done nicely with an old school '70's J vibe.

I use an Alleva-Coppolla pre, a SanAmp BDI and generally end up running the KSD straight into the amp without any additional pre.

7. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Roscoe guitars have recently started offering the Audere pre in their basses. From what Gard and others that have tried the Audere pre are saying, it's strong suite is more in the mid-range area. Tons of control there. Audere is customizing a Roscoe version that has preset mid variables (pots typically accessable from inside the control cavity) and is said to have a bit nicer highs.
    From what I hear though I doubt that it's strong suite would be the Marcus slap sound.

8. I don't have my KSD yet.It's probably stuck in the snow in Chicago being used as a shovel to dig out the stranded UPS truck:oops:
    I might just leave the bass alone when I get it,and play it as it is.The KSDs are just so cheap and I read they are very well built so I just can't imagine that there wouldn't be any corners cut somewhere.If the preamp does the job that will be great.I would still want to replace the pickups with some noise cancelling pickups.I have Nordstrand NJs5 pickups in my Moon bass and I really like them.I'll probably get another set as soon as I find out what size the pickups need to be for the KSD 705.