1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere pro jz3 install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NL_Bsss65, Apr 17, 2015.

1. NL_Bsss65

NL_Bsss65

Sep 12, 2010
    St.john's nl
    hey guys
    I just got my pro jz3 recently and am about to install it in my hwy1 Jazz
    I have no electronics experience and am kid of. Nervous about installing it my self do you guys have any tips for me and is it easy for someone with no experience like me
    P.s I got the copper sheliding tape with it to any pointers on installing that as well ?

Thanks

2. NL_Bsss65

NL_Bsss65

Sep 12, 2010
    St.john's nl
    Anyone ?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Did you get the one on the control plate? If so, it's pretty easy. It comes with instructions. Basically take the 2 wires from each pickup and connect them to the corresponding attachment areas on the greenish block. Tie together the black ground wire, connect a battery and install the cover back in place. Should be large enough that the battery will fit in there. I've done 2 Audere installs. Pretty simple.

4. NL_Bsss65

NL_Bsss65

Sep 12, 2010
    St.john's nl
    Sounds good as for the shielding part do I have to worry about the battery touching it or will it not effect it at all ?
    Thanks

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Should be no issue.You can wrap the battery in soft foam depending on how much room you have.

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. If you have a version of this preamp (whether plate or side jack), then you should have these instructions.

As DWBass said, Audere installations are simple. I will amend that to say that they can be simple. But it depends on which model you are installing, what type of leads your pickups have, and so on. For sure, the Pro JZ3 is the simplest to install of the Audere models. To date, I installed one Pro JZ3 and a few Classics. I have a Pro Z awaiting installation.

In my experience, because of the unconventional grounding scheme used by Audere preamps, either you get it right or you don't. That is, most of the installation will be straightforward, but it is easy enough to unwittingly get wrong one grounding connection. Or the Audere scheme will reveal a weakness that previously was hidden (such as a bridge painted black that inhibits a proper ground connection).

Start by taking detailed photos of everything you intend to remove, replace, or change. You will refer to those photos if ever you need to regress your changes.

If you are studious (read the manual... again... now read it again), detail-oriented (measure twice, cut once), patient (stick with the project; whenever you're at wit's end, take a break; resume until you see it through), and methodical (test, compare, prove), then you can do it... without destroying anything. :)

Having a decent digital multimeter (DMM) will help in all such work. Recently I finally learned firsthand that a DMM is your best buddy. I don't how I accomplished anything without one before.

The battery should be okay, but you can wrap it in thin foam or fabric as a precaution. As for copper foil, there are numerous guides for shielding, here on TB and elsewhere. There's a sticky in this very forum, I think.

Two details about the Audere Pro Z preamps (J on not):

The low Z gain adjustment is very important. It is what lets you match the net volumes of the mid Z and low Z modes. After your basic installation is done and you prove to yourself that everything works, do make the low Z gain adjustment.

Then, if you have the optional Z mode switch, consider programming the high and low Z modes. In my first Pro Z, I left the low Z stock and changed the high Z. It's nice to have the option. Of course, if you choose to change the low Z mode, you may need to readjust its gain to match mid Z.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  7. NL_Bsss65

NL_Bsss65

Sep 12, 2010
    St.john's nl
    Thanks guys very helpful
    I'll post the results

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    This thread is from April of this year, so I hope still open for posts -

I have hiss/hum issues with a JZ3 pre I installed in a custom bass. It's not affected by touching (which in shielding cases ends buzzing) and is most apparent as the highs are rolled up. I have another JZ3 in another (J) bass and it's dead quiet in all settings w/no issues. In the problem bass, which has 2 Delano ovals (hum-buckers), I used shielding paint in the pu cavities with a copper-tape base/floor, the control cavity is entirely copper taped (including inside of the cover), and I star-grounded the pu cavities, control cavity, and bridge to the jack. The battery is wedged tightly in the control cavity - but I've never had an issue with a battery (w/o being wrapped in foam or tape) causing hum. I also scrapped the the (Schaller 3D) bridge plate base where it meets the ground wire. And ftr, same everything (amp, outlet, cable) used as on all other basses w/no issues.

I'm not sure where to look next, as I feel I've considered and addressed all the obvious sources that would cause hum/hiss. Any insights will be appreciated.

I have one potential detail that might be of relevance - although the control cavity is completely copper taped, it was shot with a poly-clearcoat. (the bass was repainted after the initial shielding was done) I thought that as long as a ground 'spot' for star-grounding was open to the copper-tape that it would still act as a shield in the cavity as a whole. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I have installed 3 preamps .. a Delano, a BassMods and an Audere PZ4.. and by far the Audere was the most straightforward.. and I love the options..