1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audere Pro JZ3 Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Musicman_00, Mar 10, 2013.

1. I recently purchased a SX Ursa 2 5 string jazz bass. Ash body, maple neck. Installed the audere with 4 band eq, new DR Fat Beams, and a new bridge.

Awesome bass. Fat tone. Possibly the best sounding and feeling bass I have ever owned (Maybe)
    Warning: don't turn the gain on the preamp too high! This thing is hot!

My setup is vov/vol, hi mid/low mid, bass/treble.

Between this SX and my Ibanez that has a BassMods 3 band A/P, so far I've been able to get all the tone/sound I've been looking for with the exception of fretless. Before and after pics to come on the SX.

2. Here's the old and the new.

Attached Files:

musicman666 likes this.
  3. Close up of upgrades

Attached Files:

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've got the four string sunburst version of this bass, so I'm very much interested in your review. I'm also planning on adding the Audere preamp. Got any sound clips?

I really dig the SX pickups but they distort a bit too easily when you dig in. I'm hoping the Audere will help with that a little plus the tone shaping is awesome. I'm planning on getting the same configuration as you.

5. Don't really have a way to record.

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    That figures. Well, the more info you can share, the better!! :)

7. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    Looks great! I had been eyeing the JZ3 for a while, I'd be interested in any more infor you could share as well. Is it possible to remove the preamp from the control plate? The bass I want to install this on has all the controls in a rear-routed cavity, and I'd prefer to keep the 'naked' top without pickguard and control plate.

pebo likes this.
  8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    They sell the preamp without the control plate, too.

9. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    I missed that option when browsing their site (more than once :oops:). How embarrassing. Thanks Rip!

10. Well I'll do my best to describe the sound.

Hi Z Mode is really beefy. It sounds good flat. Very easy to get a Marcus Millerish tone while thumping. It doesn't take much volume to get punch out of it! I prefer a hifi tone when playing finger style and this mode doesn't disappoint.

Mid Z is very subtle. Extremely clean. I could play in this mode with my eq flat on the bass and the amp. It's kinda like passive tone but its not. Sounds almost like a filter system. Didn't use it as much Sunday as High Z but when i did use it I liked it for worship kinda music.

Low Z Mode. Didn't use it enough to really dig into the in's and outs.

Hope this helps.