1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere & SGD issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grant Bass, May 17, 2011.

1. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    Im sorry for the long speil; but if you make it thru the whole thing, i'll be your friend :D

before im crucified, know that ive used the search; googled and been up n down the audere site so many times; im dizzy.
    and am awaiting a responsce from 'David Audere' but am told he will direct me to the website faq
    so... audere 4 band eq, Active/Passive, 3 way (i ordered a series/parralell) but apparently i got the zmode instead?
    biggest concern is the active/passive switch making a giant pop when switching to active; ive heard of this, and have had it before w/ a bart pre-amp, but it was a simple grounding fix; i went thru the same motions and its still there etc.
    the next thing is the zmode switch (im not familliar with this at all) but the 'hot' channell is LOUD!!!! where the other 2 channels is a whisper, (which is also about as quiet as passive mode btw) and to top it all of the LED doesnt light up, just randomly when im poking around wires ,but as of yet found no source to making it happen.
    sorry for the length; but im assuming ive done something backwards and hoping this scenario has happened to someone reading;
    any help or general ideas would be great, cuz ive ran out of things to try;
    the pickups are SGDs so theres a 4 wire connection, im using red as my hot; black & white together and green as my common, the only grounding is the jack the bridge and all the pots in contact with the copper foil as per instructions
    any help; i love the sound of whats working of the system and pickups but its pointless with all this other stuff
    thanks

2. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    Can you post some pics.

Are all of your pots grounded individually to the the copper foil? Not really going to be the problem but may introduce ground loops.

There could be a number of problems.

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    The Audere instructions should give you some information about the "adjustable gain" controls on the pre-amp for Low-Z mode. From what you have described, it sounds like these controls are set too high. You can use the provided tool (or a small jeweler's screwdriver) to turn these controls counter-clockwise to bring the Low-Z gain down to a more reasonable level. The controls are labeled "LZ Gain".

[​IMG]

The Audere is not a "boosting" pre-amp, like some others. In Medium-Z and High-Z modes, it should not be any louder than running the pickups in passive mode.

4. Nonsense.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You cannot have a ground loop in a bass because there is only one ground reference which is at the output jack. Ground loops need two separate ground connections, such as two different amps on two different ground circuits.

All your pots should ground together.

Grant, you probably need to turn down the gain on that one setting. (What Tubby said).

Also the shields from the pickups (bare wires) should connect to the shields (copper foil) in the bass, and not to the (-) for the pickup input.

6. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    ok, great stuff, ive screwed around with the trim pots, but they didnt seem to be doing anything at either extreme, i guess ill just go counter clockwise for a few minutes and see if it makes a change; do you think too much gain is too much power and making that popping noise? nor is this about my levels issue?
    thanks David; my bare wires were grounded to the foil; i unsoldered them so i could have easier acsess to all my connections; but it made no difference; i assume because all the other pots being grouned to each other (?) i will re-connect when im done tho,
    thanks

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They are for shielding. The internal shield connects to the bare wires. The pickups will work without them grounded, but you might get some noise. Can can attach them both to another wire if you need to make it easier to connect to ground.

I don't know what's causing the popping. I haven't installed any of the Audere preamps yet.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I suspect the popping can be fixed with a couple of 10M resistors across the switch. It's probably something really simple that's causing it.

9. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

Oct 14, 2010
    k, so i fiddled around the trim pots, and i guess theyre alot more sensitive than i thought; and i undertand how they work between the lz and the hz now; i think its all good; i also thougth the led comes and stays on with the pre-amp, apparently it only flashes or stays on if your batteries are dead/dying; weird, but releiving.
    the levels seem good, exept for the passive, if i roll the mids off just a bit the volume is comparitive, does the 4th band have that much influence on the overall volume?
    thanks again folks
    grant