1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audere vs East

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I already have a Jazz bass with a U Retro Pre in it which I think is great but I also have a KZ and I am thinking of putting an Audere Pro Z in it... any opinions on these pres that might help someone who is not familiar at all with them?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Having had the u retro and also Audere... The Audere focuses on 'transparent' and un colored. Tone controls flat, your J sounds like a J but with buffered active blend. So you get sort of the vintage thing going without the interactive downsides of VVT.

I like Audere's choice in freq centers on their tone controls. Overall, I find it a well thought out approach.

I found the East to be 'overstated. I was hearing the pre more than I was hearing the pickups or the bass. That coud be a good or bad thing depending on your goals. Given that you already have an East, I would be inclined to give Audere a whirl.

I always try to expand my pallet as opposed to reinforcing certain parts of it. So I will probably snag another East at some point as I have the Audere vibe covered....

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have two Auderes, and I think they're outstanding.

4. Just to reiterate what 4Mal said... The audere hasn't changed the sound of my Jazz bass, just expanded its sound. I love it!

5. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I was thinking the same thing... I like the East but sometimes it is almost overpowering... Thanks guys.. anyone else please feel free to chime in here...

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    and as a counter, the audere is my least favorite pre out there!

7. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I have an Audere JZ3 installed in a project Jazz bass. I think it sounds great, but I think most basses sound great. It certainly woke up the stock SX Jazz pickups.

It might not be exactly what you're looking for (I don't know the major difference between the JZ3 and the new Pro Z), but if you wanted to try the JZ3 out, I'd be more than happy to ship it up to you for a trial. It's on a Jazz Control Plate and is in the following configuration:
    Volume, Z-Mode switch, Mid/Balance stack, Treble/Bass stack, LED Battery Meter, & Output Jack.

8. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    The basses in question are Kingston basses. One is. KZ5 and the other is a KH5. I am going to take my time deciding with this and with the KZ I will probably keep the stock oups but I was thinking of doing pups and pre on the KH. Thanks for the offer ack I will consider it since I have a 77 Jazz that that might work with as an experiment.

9. modder5s4s

modder5s4s Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH