Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audible Range?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpankBass, May 14, 2002.

1. A friend and I were talking about Iron Maidens singer and I said "The guy hits like 30 octaves in his vibrato" Which invoked the question: How many octaves are there in the audible range? Anyone know? I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to figure out I knew what the audible range was...

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    30 octaves? I doubt that, considering the fact that some of the greatest singers never have more than 5, except the rare few with a 6-octave range.

The human ear can only hear from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. If you double the low number, 20, that's an octave. Double that again, another octave. And so forth...

3. Well, I WAS being sarcastic ;)

So that would be (quick math in head...) 6?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    20hz - 20,000 hz is about 10 octaves. Nobody has that kind of vocal range. A five-octave range is indeed very unusual. By the way, singing five octaves of the same note would represent a four-octave range. So you need to be able to produce six octaves of the same note to span a five-octave range.

OK, 20,480 hz is the tenth octave above 20 hz. That's 20 X 2^10.

5. with those tight pants.. i doubt he can go below E-5 :D :p

6. I was thinking 20 khz was 2000 hz. And I am horrible at math as it is ;)