1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

audio and linear taper pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender3x, Mar 15, 2008.

1. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I am about to purchase some pots as part of an upgrade project to put DiMarzio Model J pups in my SX Jazz bass. I got a schematic from DiMarzio to install them with a volume, blend and tone pot. The Volume and Tone pots would also have push pull switches for the dual sound option.

I found a site that where I can get all three pots in either "linear taper" or "audio taper"... So I looked up what that means. Unfortunately, I only got a partial answer. It looks like the audio taper pot is probably better for the volume pot. Is it better for tone? For blend? Or would I be better off with linear pots on blend and tone...or even all three.

I gotta stop this readin' ...I get so confused.

2. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    I would use a audio (log) pot for the volume pot and linear for the blend and tone.

3. Blend pots are usually double ganged audio tapers with one taper opposed to the other.

4. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    Hmmm.... So perhaps the volume and the blend pots should be audio tapers.... They list one of each on the blend pots on their website.

So far no votes for linear on the volume or audio taper on the tone... Right?

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nosir, no linear on volume. It was recently explained to me that human hearing doesn't work in a linear fashion, and that for the apparent volume of an instrument to increase smoothly, the amount of current being applied actually needs to be increased exponentially. An Audio log pot does this, while a linear pot just does the steady increase. Putting a linear pot into the volume spot would do basically this: jump up in volume really quickly in the first quarter turn or so and then show no apparent change for the rest of the rotation.