Audio Comparison of Ischell Contact Mic and KNA Bridge Wing Piezo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Ischell Mic

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. KNA Bridge Wing Pickup

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

These were both run into my Headway EDB-2. Just a little EQ on the KNA, Ischell was straight to channel two with no EQ. From there to my GB Shuttle 6.2 head and then to a GK Neo 112 speaker with the tweeter off, and a stereo mic about 18 inches in front of the cab.

Attached Files:

2. BassinCT

BassinCT …still tuning…

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Thank you for posting. I am a gear nerd and I appreciate the effort!:thumbsup:

My observations-
    Pizz tone: the bridge wing (KNA) had the expected stronger attack, particularly in the ultra low bass range and fundamentals; the sustained tone delivered by the KNA also had more low-mid content. By itself, I prefer this tone, but would dial out a bit more of the <60Hz region to keep things under control if things get loud.

The Ischell pizz had more high-mid "nose" in the 700-800Hz region while sustaining, and a more polite attack. In a loud band, the more controlled lows and present high-mids would work well to cut through.

Arco, these sounded more similar than when pizzed, with the given eq setting on the KNA.

rickwolff likes this.
  3. BassinCT

BassinCT …still tuning…

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    voting for one is a challenge...honestly, it would depend on the gig.

rickwolff likes this.
  4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have a hard time hearing much of a difference between them. I am impressed with the KNA. My wing pickup doesn't sound that good.

5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Nice tone out of both. IMO, slight edge to the Ischell pizz, but I liked the KNA better arco.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Pretty darn close Rick, of course I prefer the Ischel, because it has a warmer sound with less midrange artifacts. Lot of difference in price though. I agree that the arco of the KNA sounds really nice.

7. richhansen

richhansen Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    They both sound very good. I'm surprised at how good that wing mounted piezo sounds. But Rick, I thought you had achieved MBOL nirvana with the Ischell. And now you're back messing with piezos? Is it just gas again?

8. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

No, they just sent me one to review and I was really surprised at how good it sounded. And totally easy to install and use. So, no real gas but always curious.

Rodger Bryan likes this.
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Gotta say i was pleasantly surprised by the Kremona pickup when I tried it. I loaned it to a student for his senior recital last spring and he hasn't given it back yet. I guess he likes it, too. :D

Rodger Bryan and rickwolff like this.
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    They're awful close. Play 20 min into a gig and you likely won't notice the diff. Ischell sounds fatter to me tho and the bottom is "rounder" or "smoother".

KNA has that piezo quack - which is neccessarily a bad thing. Sounds like a better sounding Realist to me.

How's the feedback rejection on the KNA?

I might get one just as a backup pickup - my underwood disappeared somewhere yet again.

the_Ryan likes this.
  11. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Just to get up to date, I’ve just got hold of a KNA: it’s certainly affordable. Didn’t like it in the G wing slot but it’s quite nice in the E. It’s got a lot of gain, lots more than the Lifeline which is fitted to my Bryant.

I ran it through a Genz Shuttle 10 Combo with a bit of the middle taken out and bass at 10 o clock. Perhaps I can have thebass at 12 if I put an HPF in the line but for a quick and dirty evaluation I think it’s got a lot of promise, especially at that price.