1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audio content: Same set of TI Jazz Flats new and ~13 years later

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by onestring, Jun 28, 2012.

1. onestring

onestring

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, CA
    Inpired by john-boro's post, thought I'd share some "then and now" examples of the same set of TI flats over their lifespan.

First track are TI Jazz flats when they were pretty new, circa 1999 (might have been 1998, I'm a little fuzzy on the exact year). P bass, doesn't come in until the second verse:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://snd.sc/LwKpNW[/SOUNDCLOUD]

And here's the same set of strings now in 2012 (well, the G string broke and got replaced somewhere in the early 2000s), on a Jazz, neck pickup only. It was super fun recording on bass again in a real (i.e. non-bedroom) studio after a looong hiatus, and a hoot playing with a bunch of other old-timers. No computers at all in this studio, it's all tracked live to 2" with the exception of the vocals. Punch-in, shmunch-in, we kept all the flubs and mostly the first takes:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://snd.sc/LwKvFs[/SOUNDCLOUD]

The strings still feel great and sound decent (to my ears, they even sound better with age). And even though $45 seemed expensive for strings at the time, the cost over their lifespan has worked out to under 30 cents a month.

That number gets lower every year I use 'em. :bassist:

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Awesome tone, wonderful strings!

3. Hopefully, this is what I have to look forward to! I just ponied up the $80 for a 5-string set for the bass in my Avatar.

Loving the sound and feel so far...

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    They are just so juicy sounding for a flat, really beautifully expressive and lively. Kind of like the sound of very good nickel rounds with the very top EQed out, but the attack of flats.

I find the tension a bit low for the way I play with a pick- they are exquisite strings for finger style but less so played pick style, at least in my hands.