1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audio Crossover Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I'm debating getting an audio crossover pedal that splits the low frequencies into one channel and the highs into another. I don't want the unit to have any built-in effects (EQ, distortion, compression, etc), I want to do that externally with my pedals of choice.

I'd prefer one with a sweepable crossover frequency knob, and I'd prefer one that does not require a preamp in between the passive bass and the unit - if possible.

I'm just looking for some recommendations for anyone that's done something like this.

I did find this unit "SFX: X & M (Crossover and Mixer)" and it looks pretty good, but I don't know if there's something better... I do like that it has the mixer built-in to it.

For anyone that's tried the SFX, did you need to put a preamp in front of it?

Thanks!

2. Sgt. Rock and Matthew_84 like this.
  3. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    I doubt you'd need anything in front of it but to be sure.. Paging @Silent Fly

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Matthew_84 likes this.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The SFX X&M works like any other pedal, no preamp is needed.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. Good question... I plan on combining the signal at the end to a single source.

Thanks! I will look into that!

6. Thanks! I didn't realize there was an SFX rep on TB.

7. Max at [sfx] seems to be really busy and does not visit TB often so it's best to email him direct.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  8. Thanks!

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    One thing about the Rolls units though is that they don't have a high impedance input suitable for direct connection to a passive bass, so unlike the SFX X&M, you will need some kind of preamp or buffer before it (something as simple as a Boss tuner will do the trick).

Matthew_84 likes this.
  10. Thanks guys for all your help so far. I'll likely go for the SFX unit - I'm just trying to figure a few things out before I proceed and starting sending emails to Max.

I was on the fence about if I wanted to do it this way, or split two pickups into their own channel (like a Ric) and then mix it together after the fact, but I think this method would be a bit better for what I'm trying to accomplish...

I do have a question about doing this with a two pickup bass though: if I set both channels at equal volume when the two pickups were 50/50, if I were to solo the neck pickup, would the "Low" get a bit louder than the "High" channel (since there's more bottom with the neck pickup and more treble with the bridge pickup)?

11. If for whatever reason you don't go for the SFX (I can't see why not, but anyway...), you could also contact TBer Azure Skies (Broughton) on here. He's from your neck of the woods, too.
    Either SFX or Broughton will do right by you, they both make excellent products according to the many TBers' comments I've read.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  12. Good to know. Thanks!

13. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    I'm re doing my pedal board later today I can test this for you but I only have my ears. I imagine it will be negligible. what bass do you play?

14. That would be great. Thanks!

I have a 4 string P/J right now, but am getting a 5 string Jazz that I would be primarily using this setup with.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Matthew_84 likes this.
  16. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    When I ordered my X&M, Max quoted me 10 weeks for the build time, just a heads-up. Business is good for SFX and rightfully so.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  17. That's interesting. It seems like it has a few more options than the SFX, and they look like pretty useful additions to me... It seems that I got some homework to do.

Thanks for posting!

18. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    So I tested it out. My Xover is set around 150Hz. Lows go to channel 1, highs to channel 2 of my amp. turned channel 2 all the way down so all i could hear was the lows. played consistent open string quarter notes while i fiddled with the blend knob. slight change in tone (more defined attack from the bridge) as to be expected no discernible difference in volume though

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. That's great of you - thank you very much!

I was a bit worried that would happen...

A recent thread about "tilt EQ's" peaked my interest. If I could make a passive circuit like that in my bass, with maybe a +/- 12db response that would probably work. How the EQ works (if you aren't aware - I wasn't until yesterday) is that it has a center pivot point somewhere in the mids. If you turn the knob one way it tilts the EQ response on the pivot, so the bass (for example) gets boosted, while the highs get cut evenly, and vice versa... I would think that would be an effective way to do it.

20. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia

So you want only the lows from one pickup and highs from the other?

Matthew_84 likes this.