Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio Engineer; career, or no? I need help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so let's start off with a quick background of me:
    I love music, everything about it, and would simply love to make a career of it. Preferably with a band, but since that doesn't have THAT great of a success rate, I'm looking for other options. I currently go to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I've 1.5 semesters under my belt, and have decided that this is not the track I want to go down - at all. As much as I like math & physical sciences, music is where my heart lies. So, I'm looking for options. In the little bit of research I've done, I think a career as an Audio Engineer would be wonderful! I was just curious if anyone on TB has any suggestions as to where to go to school for this, what kind of jobs I can get right out of school, my chances of actually landing a job where I can supposrt myself, my family, and my bass obsession are, and what I would actually major in in school? I'm looking for any and all input, even from current students, future students who are also looking to go down this road, or ones who HAVE gone down this road, and can tell me the pros/cons of doing so.
    Really, I need every piece of input I can get on this, and the sooner the bettter. This year is fastly coming to an end, and I cannot stay at this school for another year, AND don't want to miss out on transfering to another school for Fall '05.
    Also, as a kind of side thought, what other musical type careers are available to me? Here's the basic outline for what I look in a job (greedy as they are):
    Starting salary of $55K or better,
    Ease of getting a job straight from college,
    Being able to keep the job for a long time,
    Cost of the schooling, and where the schools are.

Thank you guys for all input! Help a lost soul find his way...:p

Ray

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    As another side note; those of you who work for audio companies (such as QSC, Ampeg, etc.), would you mind if we talked about your schooling, the characteristics of your jobs and such? Thanks...

Ray

3. Well IMHO stick with rocket science. :)
    There is little to no turnover in studios, it is a desirable position. Many think they can do it, very few can. Once someone is in they usually stay there as long as possible. And good luck finding a studio gig as a newbie for 55k, LOL that makes me chuckle. To make that kind of cash you'd need to be in the business for at least 10-20 years, and live in CA. and have a friend in the business.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I went to Berklee as an Audio Engineer, and the real world sucks when you get out in it.
    I'm doing similar work now but not typical studio work, and not anywhere close to 55k.
    But with that said in the immortal words of Frank Zappa "Music is the best".
    Good luck in your decision, just don't make a quick decision.
    Dirk

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, besides stuido work, what other options would I have available to me? I just put 55K down as a figure, it's not all that important to me (hell, I don't even know what to cost of living in generally). Like I said, income wise, I just need to be able to support myself, my family, and live somewhat comfortably.
    Ideas?

Ray

5. a buddy of mine was a sound engineer for years and he never made more than about $15/hr, and he worked on one of Delbert McClinton's records!

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    none of those requirements would be filled if you did audio engineering most likely. Im in school with a producing major which would be similiar. You could do some sort of audio physics and design rooms or things like that. Full sails an option as well as many other colleges, youd have to look.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A great forum for these questions is ProSoundWeb.com. That's where the pros hang out, and can answer your questions. Start out in the lounge.

ProSoundWeb forums

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I took an audio engineering program, and let's just say I'm not working in that field. It's tough to break into. I absolutely love audio engineering, and I had a 4.0 grade point average, but that's not enough. You pretty much have to know people, and if you don't, you've got to get to know some folks and maintain those connections (I didn't really network myself, which is probably the greatest failure on my part).

The knowledge learned has been absolutely priceless, though, when engineering my home studio recordings and in the past with my old band. I have absolutely no regrets having spent all that time and money despite the fact I'm not working in the field.