Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio Generators

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, this is going to be brief, because I did a huge write up, an absolutely massive thread.. and it got screwed up. So I'll summarize somewhat.

Hawkwind's Dikmik : Audio Generator. What kind of rig does an audio generator have? He often created wind like noises. Is it just a sampler? It sounds more controlled than that.

Zappa: Sheik Yerbouti. There is a lotlotlot of it on I'm so cute and the transition between Trying to grow a chin and City of Tiny lites.

What do a lot of ambient artists use for a rig other than Keyboards? I've been messing around with effects and Y cables. If you use a Y cable and get your input and your output connected, it creates a pure signal that varies from effect to effect and is tweakable. Plus altering that with other effects you can get some out there sounds.

Is anyone else into this weirdness? :D

2. well, i had a therimen for a while and i still have my feedback loop box...those are pretty cool

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Feedback loop box? Sounds interesting...

In my original message, when I spoke of my Y cable method I learned from a local ambient artist, I found using my Boss Bass Overdrive gives me a therimen like effect if I have an effect to lighten it up (reverb mostly).

4. a feedback loop box is basically a box that does what you do with your Y-cable. there is a in and out jack for your bass (or whatever instrument) and then there is asend and recieve jack, and you put some effects in the effects loop, and the signal goes through the effects, and then the signal is fed back into the effects, and so on and so on...same thing as your y-cable thing, but i put a blend control on mine so i can blend in some bass just for fun!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A lot of electronic music makers these days use programs like MAX/MSP, which is essentially limitless possibilities, since it's like an audio generation coding program. You can make it do virtually anything.