Audio Interface concerns

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nicholas Smith, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Hello folks...

Slightly off track from bass stuff here...but I’m wondering if any of you use an audio interface that has an input / playback option?

I was using a Roland Quad Capture and now I’m using a Scarlett 2i2, I realise what I’m missing...

The Scarlett 2i4 has one and the MOTU M4 has one (cannot find one to buy in the UK), but I’ve not found many others that have this feature on a smaller device.

Anyone own a device with this feature?

Thank you
    Nicholas.

2. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the direct monitor or the line inputs in the back?

3. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Input/playback monitoring like you would do on a reel to reel machine is controlled in your DAW, not your audio interface.

4. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    The Roland Quad Capture has this feature on the front. I don’t want to control it in the DAW. Trying to avoid using the DAW for that.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Are you referring to the knob you see on many interfaces that allows you to monitor your input signal before it leaves the interface when set to input versus hearing it after it comes back from the computer when set to playback?

If so, it is indeed a handy feature. It won’t be zero latency like many manufacturers claim since these all monitor after the AD when set to input, but it’ll be small enough latency to imperceptible. I have a cheap Presonus Studio24C as a backup in my studio in case my primary converters ever fail in the middle of a session. Even this cheap little unit has this feature.

6. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Yes, exactly what I’m on about. Love to have this feature again, but the Scarlett doesn’t so probably going to send it back.

7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It’s definitely useful, but if you have a sufficiently powerful computer and can calculate the latency sample offset by doing a loopback test for each sample rate then it doesn’t have to be a dealbreaker for keeping a particular interface.

8. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Yes, but how do I replicate this feature in Logic? I really need to work out how to lower the DAW output without affecting the bass signal...

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Lowering the DAW output without affecting the bass signal is not a function of input monitoring versus software monitoring. That can be achieved using either method.

You can’t replicate the feature in Logic. It’s a different process. Enable software monitoring, turn the channel fader for your bass up and turn everything else down.

10. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    I understand.

11. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Easy way is with stereo buses. Send everything except the bass to one and the bass to another. I don't use Logic but in Cubase it is a simple option in the output of each channel. It will automatically set up the bus channels.

spantini likes this.
  12. Weird, my 2i2 gen 3 has direct monitoring. 5847CE78-7883-473A-8DCA-2E4A3324865F.jpeg You must have an older one. But what’s weird is you said you’d return it? Didn’t you recently buy an older one?

seamonkey and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  13. Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith

Apr 10, 2019
    London
    Mine is the same as yours.
    But there’s no blend option to choose daw only audio and input only audio.

The 2i4 has this knob.

14. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It's simple to do in Logic as well. Just click on the output of a channel or group of channels in the mixer view and select a buss. If there isn't one created, when you select a buss it will automatically create it for you.

15. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has the "direct monitor" button to the left of the big monitor level control and down near the bottom. That allows you to do what we used to call "sound on sound" with the old 7½" and 10" reel-to- reel tape machines. You can hear the music on the track while recording another track that is in perfect sync with it. It is a 3-position control and will light up on small green circle for mono, two overlapping circles for stereo, and no light when it is off. Normally you record in mono because you are putting your sound on one track. It works great.

16. Akai EIE does this in the box, not the DAW. You blend the input with the audio from the DAW so no latency in monitoring. Only 4 input channels though.

17. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    C018A2E1-9FEA-4E4D-AFEB-8F29BE33AEC1.jpeg
    Mine has it too

18. FDR Jones

FDR Jones Inactive

Apr 7, 2018
    Useful knob for sure. If any other interfaces have it, they’re probably not going to be less expensive or better than the 2i4.

19. So basically you’re wanting more control over the mix of the sound you’re recording and what’s already there? I just adjust this by changing the levels of the already recorded tracks and the monitoring level output. For example if Im tracking bass and want to hear the bass louder I turn down the tracks in my DAW and turn up my monitor knob on the 2i2. Sometimes I even mute tracks I don’t want to hear while tracking stuff. I’m not worried about moving around the levels in my DAW because I know I’m going to tweak them after the fact anyways.

20. Matty Koff

Matty Koff Inactive

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I use an M-Audio Air 192/14. It has a "Direct Monitor/USB" knob.. turning it fully left is only the input signals, turning it fully right is only the USB signal (computer audio/DAW).

I thought that was pretty common these days? the 2 in 2 out M-Audio Air 192/4 for $120 USD has it as well, which is less expensive than a new 2i4.

It's two inputs are one xlr/quarter inch combo jack, and an additional 1/4th instrument level jack.

The 192/6 is like $170 USD (still cheaper than a 2i4) and has two xlr/quarter combos and two 1/4th inputs.