Audio samples of a fretted Rob Allen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by javima, May 20, 2007.

1. javima

javima

May 20, 2007
    Can anyone please post or point me to sound files of a fretted Rob Allen MB-2 or Mouse 30? I've searched the web and these forums with no luck.

I've been able try a fretless MB-2, but I can't find a fretted one to try. I'm not a fretless player, so I'm thinking of ordering a fretted one, if they have enough of that acoustic tone.

Thanks!

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Does he make fretted basses? :confused:

3. Yup, although as much as I live mine, I couldn't see myself ordering a fretted one. I barely play anything fretted these days as is. Although I'd really suggest a fretless with Rob. The low end thumpy sound is pretty forgiving.

4. javima

javima

May 20, 2007
    Thanks spade2you, I hear ya. I realize the fretless is where the Rob Allen's really shine, and I may end up taking the plunge into the fretless learning curve. But it's such a big investment, I really wish I could at least hear what the fretted sounds like.

BTW, what do you mean by "low end thumpy sound is pretty forgiving"?

5. No sound clip, but I played a fretted Rob Allen 5-string at Bass Northwest last year (strung with TI Acousticores - playing through an Epifani stack), ant it was seriously one of the best fretted tones I've ever heard. :D

6. javima

javima

May 20, 2007
    Thanks Lokire.

Okay, let me come at this a different way. Who has (or has played) both fretless and fretted Rob Allens (mb-2 or mouse), and how would you compare the sound? Any insights and opinions would be very helpful.

7. Trebble seems to reveal flaws of intonation a little easier, but when you have the trebble rolled off, it's a little harder to tell if you're off or not. Also, having a 35" scale as featured on the 5 string allows for a little more wiggle room in your notes.

The fretless plunge seems scarey, but it's not as difficult as it seems. You could always order lined or my dotted config.
    s5.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021