Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio Taper Pot Verses Linear Taper Pot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by witness, Mar 19, 2004.

1. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    Could someone please help me out here, I'm trying to decide which pot should I use for a pickup Blend/balance control. What are the main differences between Audio and Linear Taper Pots, and which one would you recommend for use. Thanks for your input.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Use a linear pot.

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    The only difference will be the layout and stability. Obviously, the way you turn it. Not much difference really

4. The deal with Audio Taper pots is that you only hear a difference in roughly what is twice the resistance. So in effect, a linear pot is only going to have a noticable effect towards the end of the range, but not so much before. An audio taper pot has the resistances "staggered" so you hear a difference throughout the travel of the potentiometer.

Make sense?

5. witness

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    (The Golden Boy)

I don't quite understand what you are saying, but which pot would you use to get the best range of blend/balance between the pickups?

6. As it's a *signal* and not a volume you're controlling, a linear taper pot would be best for a blend as well as a tone pot, but the volume is best at audio taper. (I think)

The way I understand it is that with the audio taper pot it is adjusted for the way we percieve volume, 1 is half as loud as 2, 2 is half as loud as 3, etc. but a linear taper pot is only concerned with the amount of resistance, not where the resistance is in regards to travel of the pot. If you had the pot wide open, 1-10 would be in the space of travel between 8-10. From 8 and under you won't hear a difference, and it would be difficult for you to accurately dial in what you want.

And remember that signal strength is different than percieved volume.

At least that the way I understand it. I very well could be wrong. Try calling an electronics store or music repair store to be sure.

7. witness

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    Thanks Golden Boy, I kinda get the idea where you are going

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Golden Boy has it right.

Here's great article from a great web-site.

http://www.sound.westhost.com/pots.htm