1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audio Taper Pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Mar 12, 2010.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    The pots on my bass, when starting from zero (anti-clockwise) (on a scale of 1-10) and then at about 7ish the volume gets a lot louder in a short space (or turn lol), am i right in thinking this is an Audio Taper pot, and is this normal if so?

Same as on my tone pot, except backwards (the tone stay pretty much the same untill about its gets to about 3 (on a scale of 1-10) then you can really hear the high being cut (using .1uf cap)

Dave

2. Yes, this is normal behavior for audio taper pots.

3. Yep, that's normal behavior for audio taper pots.
    Switch to linear for the volumes.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    actually, it sounds like you might have a linear tone pot. an audio tone pot will sweep evenly through its range. swapping them might just solve both problems.

5. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    What i mean is, its when the pot is at 10, no highs are being cut, and and as you turn down (torwards 0) at about 3, you can really notice the highs being cut.

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    if you are concerned about highs at low volumes you can add a treble bleed mod to each volume pot. all the pots on my basses have them with great results. you have to solder a capacitor and resistor combination to the input and output lug of each volume pot. I used metal film caps and carbon comp resistors. easy mod
    http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/modtreble.html

7. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    No, i was talking about the tone pot :p

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I only used a capacitor for my treble bleed with great results.

-John

9. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    you can do it that way. the resistor is there to smooth out the volume levels as you turn the knob. you can really hear the difference if your pickups have a hot signal

10. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I might try that to see what difference it makes. I'm very happy with the function as it is now. I don't really use the volume knob much, except for volume swell effects now and again and it works great as is right now.

11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    +1

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020