1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AUDIO VOTE: Alder Jazz Body Shootout!!! Warmoth VS. US Custom Guitars VS. B. Hefner

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by troyus, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Body #1!

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. Body #2!

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Body #3!

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. You played with a pick! AND you played Alice Cooper! *Head Explodes*

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Three different bass bodies, what sounds good I guess is a personal preference thing right? Clips are in order, with body 1, 2, 3 playing.

I may upload the second clip later (ran out of space)!

Attached Files:

• 18.mp3
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    109eh likes this.
  2. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Usa custom sounds bust to me.

I love experiments like these.

I hope this proves to all those people that say otherwise, that tonewoods DO matter and that every alder body sounds different.

Love the experiment!

3. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I'm in a smooth Mood, so My vote is for... the first one... Warmoth. To my ears it sounds smoothest...

Although its not as "smooth" I actually liked the third one best for that tune though, why?

CUZ I'm eighteen!! :bassist:

4. The third one is fat! I love how thick it sounds.

H

5. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Wait a second dudes - who said anyhting about me putting the sound clips in ORDER of the post title?? Bwahahaha.... It's just in order of 1, 2, and 3 - I will reveal the true order later. :D

6. l337r3nn

l337r3nn

Jun 6, 2008
    three is the best IMO, it has much more low end than the first, which had more crunch

7. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    haha what happened to #2? i personally preferred that one, although #3 was good too

8. I'm not going to overanalyse the tone...I'm just reporting what my brain told me the first time I listened...

they all sound EXTREMELY similar...except for one peculiar thing...the B-string on the 3rd clip has quite a bit more fundimental...
    why that is, I cannot say...It is quite possible that the way the string is set to the bridge on this body would
    make a big difference (good witness point)...

I find this to be true, even when I'm restringing my own instruments...I need to "set" the string into the saddle with a bit of downward pressure to get the desired tone from my B and E strings...

so, I'll say, "they sound the same"...except for the one anomaly that cannot be directly attributed to the body.

9. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    What I did was to listen the three one time. Then listen about two more times the sounds I like the most which were on #2 and #3. I like it more the #3 and that is for what I vote for.

10. 1) focused on zingy high-end attack
    2) more bassy warmth, and much less zing
    3) has the warmth of #2 with #1's zinginess.

I THINK that's how these sound to me. :p

11. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Wait. Are the pickups in each the same? How about the preamp if applicable? Without knowing this information how can we accurately judge if the tonal difference is in the wood or is something else at play.

12. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Here is the info you requested! (In summary, The only changing piece is the wood body itself.) :)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469076

13. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Sooo.. when we have the results?

14. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Next day or so! I am still trying to decide which one to use for my project! :)

Once I have decided, I will release the results, and put the two remaining bodies up for sale as well. :cool:

15. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    OK... drum roll please!

Bass #1 - US Custom Guitars

Bass #2 - B. Hefner

Bass #3 - Wamoth

I have decided to go with the Hefner, in part because it would be harder to sell due to the fact the body is not center joined and matched like the other two. Since I am painting a solid color, that just doesn't matter to me. I also liked the way it sounded, smooth with a slight mid bump. I already have a scooped sound rock out bass like body #3, and #1 just was a little too balanced for my tastes.

For those digging #1 and 3 though... the USCG and Warmoth bodies are now for sale!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6278524

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470466

109eh likes this.
  16. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Wow, great job Troyus!
    I just did a similar OCD comparison with OEM/BAII/Gotoh201 bridges with Stock vintage vs Bart pups.
    Kuddos

17. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Thanks man. Yeah the world of music needs more OCD folks... really cuts down on the BS out there! :D

109eh likes this.