Audiokinesis Hathor 1203 for Upright? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Pat C., Sep 29, 2016.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    After doing a ton of reading the Hathor 1203 is on my shortlist for a high-power, lightweight cab for doubling on upright and slab. I'm curious if anyone is gigging one of these guys regularly and if you're willing to share your thoughts. TIA.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Pat,
    Being a longtime owner of a Audiokinesis TC-112, I would think the Hathor could be a good cabinet for Double Bass. Duke's cabinets are quite remarkable, because of their ability to work either as sealed or ported enclosures. The Hathor also incorporates a port plug, to seal the box. I use that option pretty often. I did ask Duke once about the posibility of a Audiokinesis TC-110. In his opinion , it didn't give you any distinct advantage over a TC-112.

Ric

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    MR PC likes this.
  3. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Still waiting for Duke to come out with his Birdhouse cab, the one with multiple drivers in multiple orientation. I saw a picture somewhere, and thought that looked pretty cool. After using the Berg 310 with the rear firing driver, I immediately started thinking that this concept might even work with smaller drivers, smaller footprint, etc. DB players tend to want an amp that is heard but not seen I think..that was the appeal to me of the original GK 200mb...that is a stealth little black box with the tiniest of LED's on the front!

Ric Vice likes this.
  4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

One of the reasons I asked over here about the Hathor is because I've seen several times that Duke has commented in the Audiokinesis mega-thread that it may NOT work well with upright bass. I'm not entirely sure of his rationale in making those statements, or if they are even drawn from real-life listening. Hence my question if anyone has specific DB experience with the 1203.

I've eyed all the models in his line (including the Birdhaus) and the 1203 has the right combination of power-handling, form-factor, weight and price-point. It's actually at the higher end of what I'd like to spend on a cab, I'm looking in the range of $500-700.

Other cabs on my short list include the MAS-16, Bareface One10, Acoustic Image Ten2 EX, Greenboy Crazy 8, 88 and Bassic12. Use would be for doubling playing jazz, blues, acoustic pop...sometimes with a drummer. I'm using a K&k Bassmax to amplify my plywood upright and my electric is New York Bass Works 36" scale 6-string so the cab needs to be able to handle a Low-B. Power will be a Aguilar TH500 or GK MB500.

Of the these the MAS, Barefaced and Crazy 8 hit the lower end of the price and weight range. The Hathor has the highest power handling and, loaded with the 3012LF woofer, seems to be the best candidate for handling occasional abuse.

The only one of these cabs that I've played through IRL is the Ten2 EX.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seems to me that most upright players that use Duke's cabs use the TC112, especially the TC112v3, which he designed with acoustic players in mind. Any reason you're considering a Hathor over a TC112?

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You need to decide how much volume you'll need. The 16, 10 and crazy 8 are for lower volume gigs. If you're going to push things with a drummer, go with the larger cabs, or get two smaller cabs.

7. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    A couple of reasons. Price, the TC112 is a couple hundred bucks more. It's also a bit bigger (and heavier) and the Hathor is already on the larger side of the cabs that I'm looking at.

Mostly though, from what I've tread I think the Hathor has more of the tone profile that I'm looking for. I don't need extended high end and I like to put the high and mids on a paper cone.

Again, these are all judgements made from doing online research, hence my reason for asking for real world opinions.

8. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

I should be getting a Hathor 1203 later this week. I've got gigs on both EB and URB coming up to test it out.

I'm not sure why the 1203 wouldn't work for upright? Like the OP I also like what I've read about the tone profile of the little Hathor. Plus it's pretty light and pretty small and not crazy expensive.

I've got a One10 I've been gigging through. IMO, though it IS impressive how much volume comes out of such a little and light cab, in the end it's still a small cab and has limitations. I've used the One10 with a drummer on a cocktail hour jazz trio gig. It was fine. Same rig and same drummer on a medium-loud gig with a five piece pop/rock/variety band with FOH PA and the One10, used only as a stage monitor, couldn't keep up.

Groove Doctor and Pat C. like this.
  9. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts

I'm not sure either, but I suspect Duke made those statements based on him designing the cab with bass guitar in mind, with a specific voicing versus the flat, un colored response of the TC series.

@DukeLeJeune - any feedback from DB players in the field with a Hathor?

That last statement is my concern about the One10. I really need something that'll be able to handle the gig when things get unexpectedly raucous.

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The TC cabs have a more pure tone and airy high end. The Hathor 1203 still sounds very balanced and articulate, but has a bit of natural sounding coloration (slightly warmer tone). With my old Kay, and in a band setting, one or two 1203's are fantastic. Now, if I was playing a higher-end carved bass in more of a recital scenario, I'd probably opt for my TC112AF.

DukeLeJeune, Ric Vice, Pat C. and 3 others like this.
  11. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    I have a birdhouse (4x6) and it sounds amazing with upright, clean, articulated and full both pizz and arco. I use it with the port plugged. Audiokinesis are great!

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  12. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    @Pat C. , I'll let you know my impressions. I do a variety of gigs. And I'm not super busy this month BUT I'll be using the 1203's pretty much out of the box when I receive them this Friday. And using them in a bunch of different situations as the month progresses. Pop, bluegrass, cocktailp-hour-jazz, etc.

Feel free to PM me if I forget to chime in here.

Thanks, Tom! More eveidence I made the correct choice in a cab. I'm looking to bridge the gap, if you will, between "colored" tone and "uncolored" tone in a lightweight and powerful package.

tombowlus likes this.
  13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I don't play upright but recently heard @Dave Hill play his blast cult through my mesa subway and 1203s and thought it was marvelous.

14. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Very cool. Yeah, I'm definitely not doing recitals. :D Plywood bass, K&K Bassmax PU, playing acoustic pop, roots and jazz in duo through 5 piece ensembles. Warmer is good, colored is good, precise re-creation of the Bassmax's sound is not necessary, or even desirable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    tombowlus likes this.
  15. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I thought I read something about that in the AK megathread. I'm in the Atlanta area so next time y'all get together I'd like to join in, I was out of town for the last GA GTG.

Ric Vice likes this.
  16. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. The BC sounded great through @nutdog's Subway/1202 stack. The 1203's tight low end may eliminate the need for an HPF, depending how loud/hard you play.

Pat C. likes this.
  17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    What's the Birdhaus 4x6 weigh? 22 lbs?

Just an update here, I talked to Duke yesterday and he's amicable to starting a production run of the Birdhaus 4x6's.
    If it's anything like my TC-112 it's a winner.

Ric

Marial likes this.
  18. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    Birdhaus is 21.4 lbs, tall and narrow with a handle on top. Very easy to carry with one hand.

19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hmmm.... 4x6.... hmmm.... wonder what the pricing would be like on that.

20. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I'd consider the Birdhaus as an option, particularly given its light weight. I have questions, though.

What 6" driver is Duke using? IIRC the 4x8" version of the Birdhaus used the Faital 8PR200, which gets good praise as a 8" bass driver but doesn't got very low and is pretty pricey. Looking over Faital's 6" offerings I see drivers that don't go very low, or are not very sensitive. Is he using a custom driver, or something from Eminence?

Regardless of the specs of the driver, four of them must cost significantly more than the 3012lf that is in the Hathor 1203. So even with the Hathors crossover and 3" I gotta imagine that the Birdhaus is gonna be in the next highest price bracket. Although I'd like to wrong about this, more options is never a bad thing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021