1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Audiokinesis Thunderchild 115 AF

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by thetaxmiser, May 12, 2015.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Price:
    I have owned this cab for a year. I believe it is the 4 ohm version 1 of the cab. Has the rear firing tweeter (I think that is the "AF" designation. I haven't gigged this cabinet. There is a lot written on talkbass about this cab so you may want to explore if you have questions.

Dimensions 25" tall, 17" wide, 14" deep
    Weighs a bit over 40 lbs
    No case

$675 + shipping

Possible Trades - EHX Ravish Sitar or EHX POG 2

20150420_201628.

20150420_201745.

20150420_201731.

20150420_201645.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    saturday bump

3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Bump. These are great cabinets.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Rear firing tweeter, but front-facing horn?

Possible to determine if 4 or 8-ohms? Kinda an important piece of info :) .

5. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    yes. both rear-firing tweeter and front-facing horn. (look at the pictures.)

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, thanks. I see that. My question, though, is about rational? 100% positive that there's fine rational for it, but I don't know what it is. As the owner of the box, I'm asking you what your understanding may be. Or then again, maybe you just bought it because it's Duke's Thunderchild (which is perfectly understandable, too, Duke's got great skills & certainly knows how to design/build with the best of 'em) & didn't worry about his justification for that particular item.

7. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i'm not the owner.

the rationale is likely to be found over on the audio kinesis thread.

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    O.K., didn't check close enough. Thought you were the seller. So you have absolutely no clue. Got it :thumbsup:. Thanks.

9. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i own the hathor 1203 and the thunderchild 112, 4ohm version. i've read up on the rationale of the af versions, seems to make sense, but don't feel qualified to explain it.

it seemed like you were confused by the rear-firing tweeter and front-firing horn; thinking that it was one or the other.

10. thetaxmiser

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I am the seller. I am traveling so my responses will be spotty.

I play and try things because I like the way they sound. I don't get overly concerned with audio theory. Maybe pose the question in the amp forum and watch as 200 pages discuss how many angels can dance on a 12 inch speaker.

It is 4 ohms.

11. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    The rear-firing tweeter adds some "air" and "top end" and is particularly useful for upright, according to Duke. It also allows folks behind the cab (e.g., a drummer) to hear the high end. It has nothing to do with the horn, although some AK cabs may have a switch that allows you to turn off both the rear-firing tweeter and the horn. This cab was once mine (I still have a wide version of the TC115) and it's an excellent example of Duke's work. GLWTS, DM