Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audiophile 2496 soundcard question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Mar 27, 2002.

1. I'm doing something wrong....

I put the Audiophile soundcard in my PC (Sony Vaio, Athlon 1 gig) and it sounds great. However, when I try and record my bass with Acid or BIB, the volume is very low. I've gone from the DI on my SWR Workingman and use a dedicated DI with no improvement.

Here's what I've tried:
    Bass -> Amp -> DI -> Input on card

Bass -> DI -> split to card and amp.

What am I doing wrong? DO I need a mixer?

Thanks!!
    Jeff

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check all the volume levels, not only on the M-Audio mixer but also the windows mixer in control center -> Multimedia. The Wave channel defines the volume output of programs like Acid.

I use the line out of my preamp as a source - works fine with the Audiophile.

Try out the line out or the FX send for comparison, the offer line level too (mono).

Ask again if it doesn't help.

3. I am unable to adjust the volume from the Sound/Multimedia in the Control Panel - the "Volume" button is greyed out. I can only adjust it on the Midiman contol.

Jeff

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I am having a similar problem with my sound, althought it might just be my equipment. I am running bass-->amp(effects send)-->audiophile, and I have my CD player (200watts) for monitoring. I have to turn my volume up on the CD player high if I want to hear myseflf loudly, but I also get a lot of hissing noise. Is this just because I'm playing out of a CD player? I'm poor to buy nice speakers but would a little sub work better, like a ten incher?
    thanks

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Guys, you send a too low level signal to the sound card. Line out -> line in, mmkay?

6. Humm... you might think if others are going from their bass to a DI (preamp or dedicated) into the card input and getting a good signal and I'm doing the same thing but not getting a good signal that there might be another issue. Especially since I've tried 2 Sadowskys, a Zon and a DP Custom - all with active electronics and, in the case of the Zon a hotter than average output.

By the way, I've recorded successfully with the Sadowskys and the Zons in studio. They send the board a great signal.

So, a recommendation to troubleshoot would be helpful... mmkay? ;)

Jeff

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What happens if you connect a cd player to the Audiophile?

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What are the settings you have on the audiophile mixer panel? What your trying should work fine, it does for me.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The thing is that when you record in a studio, you send the bass's signal to a preamp - the preamp on the channel strip on the mixing desk. You can lower your impedance until you die exhausted, but you will still need GAIN, no?

To get the best S/N ratio and a strong signal to work with, I need a preamp. I use the mic pres of my Mindprint DI-port, which IIRC have 60-something dB's of gain available. With my Jazz bass, I need to turn the knob up to 3 or 4 to get a good recording level. Without my DI in the chain, I get an equally strong signal only when pushing the preamp close to its max. Record direct, with or without DI, into my sound card? Hiss city!

My Peavey has a hot output, and is already low impedance, but I still need my mic pre.

Or am I missing something here?

10. I didn't connect a CD player, but the audio out of a VCR. I had plenty of volume. If there's not a difference between the output of a CD player and VCR, the card appears to be working fine.

I'm going to try a different cable. But it appears I need a dedicated preamp on the DI?

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, I only wanted you to try that so you can check if the card's working ok.
    It obviously does, so it must be insufficient signal level from the DI.

See if you can use the line out of the amp, and try fiddling with the volume.

12. Nope. You were right on. I tried a SansAmp, but not enough gain. I got a PreSonus BlueTube preamp and it sounds great! Gain to spare.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Jeff