1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audiophiles cannot tell the difference between high end cables and coathangers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  2. Ah well, another Engadget fan, my bad...
    Move along kind folks.

3. And this is news...why?

I've used heavy Radio Shack zip cord-style cable for speaker runs for 40 years, and it works great. the price is right and the sound is just fine.

Monster Cable and the other high-end poseurs have built an empire on imagination and hype.

Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter. :D

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Lol@audiophiles!

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Unsurprising, but hilarious nonetheless. :D

6. halvey

halvey Banned

Jan 31, 2008
    Interesting. About 15 years ago in college friend of mine bought a nice receiver with a pair of cheap crap 6" speakers. He was going to replace them anyway, but I was just messing around with them one day and hooked them up with Monster cable. I was playing an audience recording of a show he did that was pretty much all mids when he walked in. He stopped in his tracks and said, "what'd you do to my recording? It sounds awesome." The cables added a lot of punch and low end to the recording. Now, it may not matter if we were playing CD's, because I messed with that too and the difference with the low end monster cable and the high end stuff - I couldn't tell. But using nice Super VHS VCR's for dubbing, there is a diffference I could see.

So, I guess in my experience, it depends.

Kind of makes you wonder though how much the average concertgoer notices things. I just read something where a guitarist doesn't like using the 3 pickup Les Pauls live because the middle pickup alters the tone. I'd understand for a studio recording, but for a live show, I wonder if anyone would notice?

7. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Can't say I'm surprised. It does make me want to try out a coat hanger like that, though...

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    What they failed to mention is that they used oxygen-free pure copper coat hangers with 14K gold connectors.

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    LOL! :D

10. I know it's fun to bash Monster Cable, but it's worth mentioning that it's completely unverified. If you drill down, you find that the whole article is based on a June 2004(!) post from some anonymous guy on a forum site. He claims he and his brother did this experiment once, but he's got no photos, no video, no documentation, nothing. He doesn't even get around to mentioning it until about the 8th paragraph of his post. And he's only got 7 total posts on the site, so it's not like he has any credibility there:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15412&postcount=28

We all know that people on forum sites are always completely honest, right? :rolleyes:

11. True, but it doesn't NEED to be verified. Millions of people (including my humble self) have poo-pooed the high end cables for years.

The human ear is capable of hearing whatever it WANTS to. The more money people spend on cables, the more they WANT to hear a difference.

Q.E.D.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Monster=Waste of Money

13. Does that rule apply to basses too? Or tonewoods, or pickups? Why does it only apply to cables?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    How can a cable possibly add punch and low end to a recording? I suspect that perhaps you also turned up the volume? That would add punch and low end.

15. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I disagree. It does need to be verified, and your opinion doesn't add any validity to the claim.

16. It applies to any and every sighted evaluation. There is a reason not to believe subjective opinions based on non-blind testing.

17. It's been verified - by physics. We don't need to keep verifying it in every individual case.

18. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    My brother rigged his whole rack with Monster Cables, not because of superior audio quality, but because of the 100% replacement warranty. He can throw the cable into a blender, and take it back to gui****ed Center, and they'll replace it. He's done the instant-swap twice, once with an instrument cable that got pinched and once with a speaker cable that got its plug bent to hell from being yanked. Both times, swapped with no questions.

That's the ONLY reason he dumped the money into it. If 5 years down the road his rig catches fire, he can go get his cables completely replaced.

Other than that, HOSA, BABY!!!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Because basses and woods differ susbtantially from one another.