Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audiophiles/musicians -?- speaker replacement for Polk Audio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blux, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Can anyone who has knowledge/experience suggest replacement speakers? The cabinets are 15 years old Polk Audio M7. need 2 10" woofer (1 each cab) and 1 tweeter. Factory replacements are $40 each for woofer and $60 for tweeter.

Is it even a good idea to replace or has the technology advanced so much that I should toss the Polks and buy new.

What brands? I have a 50 RMS watts per channel Adcom prower amp and a seperate pre-amp.

First visit to audio stores I saw no bass speaker larger than 8" (except in the over $1000 range). And many speakers (in the better stores) are the very small ones, without the center channel sub-woofer. Not interested in center channel.

Thanks

2. Depends, i mean yes speaker technology has vastly improved. Whats your price range? Vifa make good drivers and tweeters.

:D:D

Merls

3. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Thanks Merls, Vifa has a great web site. Their speakers are twice the price of the Polk Audio 's.

I am wondering if I upgrade to Vifa, I should replace all speakers. That does not sound logical to me. Speaker design being something of an art.

SO, price range for new speakers $250 to $500 each, but the sound must very hi-fi and I would hope even better than what speakers I have previously owned: monster pro Sony cir. late '60's, AR ( acoustic reseach), Dynaco (made in demark) and the Polks. All of these were in the upper range offered by the manufacturer.

I hear you about the old stuff. I have late '60's Sony Hi-end pre-amp, tuner and power ampwith the only things wrong are lights burned out and one switch that needs cleaning. The Sony speakers have not lasted and I have replaced all 6 in the cabinets.

Now I need to replace the Polk Audios. I have investigated some audio forums. It seems that a pair of woofers in the 6.5 to 8.5" are doing the trick these days. But is has not been easy to find something appealing in the low range of the money I want to spend.

I would like to hear from bass players what is good.
    What is real good. For all styles of music.

4. True, but the old audiophile craftmanship can't be beaten. My old (20 years old) Altec Lansing speakers with a McIntosh Labs Pre and Power amps sounds killer, great bottom, natural, excelent high range... and remember, 20 years old!

EBP

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For $400/piece you could get something like Paradigm Legend V2, which have 1" and 6 1/2" elements with 10" self-powered woofer. I've been happy with my small Paradigm Titans, they seem to be the "Peavey of Hi-fi", making good stuff for little cash.

Also, Paradigm's Monitor series looks nice.

6. Actually 6 inch and 8 inch speakers are all the rage it seems. with this "bookshelf" design, they can handle easily 100Watts before distortion and fairly clear. One thing though, check the speaker specifications. Do you have the specs for the old speakers?

A speaker can sound crap in the wrong box. If you can get new speakers similar to the specs of oyur old one. then good. if not. measure the volume of the box. INSIDE measurements. and choose speakers close to that Volume.

:D:D

Merls

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Check out some reputable speaker repair shops, like Orange County Speaker (www.speakerrepair.com), or New England Speaker at (781)438-1786 (I don't know if they have a Web site).