Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audioslave tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. The Audioslave bassist gets a tone on "Cochise" that blows me away. Anybody got insight on the kind of gear he's pushing?

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I believe in Bass Player magazine he was going on about he has tinkered with his pups and effects and also uses a guitar cab that is overdriven to get that OD tone....I like it myself also. I'm currently using an Ibanez Phat Head and Digitech Synth Wah on the Octave setting and getting a cool grind similar to it....I kinda stumbled onto last night...gonna tinker more tonight to see if it's even close...prolly not.

3. tim commerford (a.k.a timmy c, tim bob, y.tim.k) has a unique tone. his one of my fave bassists. i know he plays fenders J's, but him and his bass tech do some serious modding i think. he winds his own pups, and wires his own effects. ive never really been able to get his tone. some of his early stuff in RATM is easier to get when he played a stingray. i think he would struggle to find his own tone again if he was given a whole heap of brand new gear! :p

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

5. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, blackntan, tim's tone has been discussed to death, a search would probably fill in the blanks.

But, 3 rigs, Mesa/Boogie 400+ for clean, then two ashdowns for dirt and more dirt. At least from the article I remember reading.

6. hmmm 400+ for clean and ashdowns for dirty?

very interesting...

wish I could afford one of each.

If you heavy metal players had to pick one amp over the other, which would you pick? 400+ or Ashdown? Which Ashdown?

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well comparing a Mesa and an Ashdown is like comparing a Lexus and Dodge, no?

If it were Ampeg vs. Ashdown for metal, I might go with the Ashdown because the SOAD guy uses one.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    According to last summer's article, he was using 3 SVT-II Pro's right into recording. However, right before they hit the road he went to a Mesa M-Pulse 600 head for clean, kept an SVT-II Pro for middle of the road stuff, and an Ashdown EVO-900 II or something for full-on distortion. With Ampeg BXT cabs (I believe- the Wooten/Baily models) paired accordingly, with an 8x10 to the clean, and a separate 4x10 to the other OD heads.

He's also got a couple of Dunlop bass wahs, Boss delays, and like 3 or 4 modded OD's. Plus he plays BEAD with Audioslave, and handwound his own p'ups in his main jazz.

I'd recommend getting the back-issue for that month. I forget when it was, but man, it's a good read even if not for his insane gear setup. :) The guy is way cool, and not the political whiny-baby that Zach and Tom are. He's all about the music, which is why I like 'em! ;)

9. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    yeah, rockstar remembers the article better than me. And I miss whiny-baby zach and tom playing together

10. Tim C. has such an awesome sound.

I'm just getting into Qotsa (it's him that plays the bass, right?) and i'm deeply impressed by his bass-playing.

11. what?... timmy c playing in QOTSA???? when? i didnt hear anything of this? is this true? and i too miss whiny babies playing together. they were such an awsome band. has anyone heard what zacs solo stuff is like? and anyone know if audioslave gonna do a second album??

Peace

12. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    Tim is not playing for QOTSA. Never has, probably never will.

13. Ooops... i suck. i'm so sorry... I was talking about Nick Oliveri.

Non the less does Tim have a great sound.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Audioslave's new album is due out in late May, early June from what I've heard.

15. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    http://www.zdlr.net/

He's working on it, I guess.

16. yeh, the day i asked that, my mum sed she heard a new audioslave song on the radio, and then my mate sed they had a new album coming out soon. rippin. wonder what it will be like? anyone heard the new song and whats it like????

Peace

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I heard a song a few weeks ago that was absolutley terrible. I have a feeling that this record is going in a very different direction.

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As far as Tim goes, I think he's been recording with Sadowskys now, although that would have little effect on his OD tone. I know his OD tone is very hard to replicate, and Tim is also very secretive about exactly all the mods that he's done along the way to get that exact tone. His tone is cool, but I actually liked his tone on the first Rage album the best.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think I might have heard the same song. Be Yourself by any chance?

It was really poppy and the bass was just a steady eighth note thing. I had trouble believing that the same man who wrote Jesus Christ Pose, Rusty Cage, and Pretty Noose is writing the Audioslave lyrics.

20. When I heard "Be Yourself" the other day, two words for Audioslave came to mind ....

SOLD OUT

Hopefully, there are a couple of gems in the new album, but Be Yourself, ironically, sounds like Audioslave is headed towards being what some record label wants them to be instead of *being themselves,* the ballsy rawkers they were on their first album. :crying: