Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audioslave's "Out of Exile"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vince S., May 28, 2005.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I picked up Audioslave's new album "Out of Exile" tonight.

The album is very impressive, surpassing their debut IMO. The first track "Your Time has Come" kicks off strong and keeps that strong, driving energy throughout the entire album. It is similar to "Cochise" in that its raw and powerful. The album as a whole sounds much tighter than the first.

Tom Morello has lightened up on the effects and plays clean on a couple of tracks, which is very pleasing. He uses a liberal amount of effects on other songs, but doesn't overdo do it. There are some tracks where the guitar is very heavy and reminiscent of RATM, such as "Out of Exile". On other tracks, he plays more conservatively, playing more simplistic guitar riffs that sound just right.

The rhythm section of Audioslave has tightened up since the debut album, which is quite something, since Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk were already a very tight rhythm section to begin with. The drum parts are well done and don't clutter the tracks. Brad Wilk's driving drums keep the songs moving at a fast pace. Tim Commerford's basslines provide appropriate fills where they are needed, and come out center stage in many tracks with simple but effective lines.

Chris Cornell's singing sounds better on this album. His voice is much more mellow, though he can still belt out and scream where it's needed. However, even the screaming parts are more mellow and don't sound strained like on their debut.

Some tracks that really stood out are "Your Time has Come", "OUt of Exile", "Doesn't Remind Me", "The Worm" and "Dandelion". However, all the songs on this album are extremely well crafted. There are no fillers; each track is very tastefully done. Their first single, "Be Yourself" doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the album though. That's not to say it's not a good song, but it just has a different feel than the rest of the tracks.

The album as a whole has a more melodic, hard rock feel than the first, which leaned more towards RATM's style. Certain tracks like "Doesn't Remind Me" and "Dandelion" are more upbeat, which is a pleasurable surprise.

This album is excellent, definitely Audioslave's best work thus far.

Vince

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, given the budget and protools, some bands still do not release albums with tight rhythm sections. :smug:

4. i agree....i really like the new CD...$13.49 well spent...plus i was amused that with all the secrecy surrounding tim's effect, his pedalboard is the pic behind the cd!
    i really liked the cd, and i thought just about every song was really done well.

5. I disagree. :meh:
    I felt most of the songs lack the melodic hook, and the guitar and bass has much less energy than the last album.

6. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Surprised no one mentioned it yet, but about Tim's tone? HOLY COW. Love it. Especially on the lead track and track 4, Doesn't Remind Me. How about that solo section? Guitar, Bass and drums. Doesn't get any better than that.

I love it. This surpasses record #1, IMO. I was never too big a fan of RATM or Tim's playing, but he's quite a stud on this record.

7. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Sorry, I mean in comparing their first album to the new one, the new album sounds much tighter. I haven't heard these guys play live so I wouldn't know how tight they are in real life.

Vince

8. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    im a big audioslave fan and love both cds. i think the first had more radio friendly tunes. i was looking around on the net the other night while listening to the new cd and found a live performance from a couple weeks ago. it is from the k rock weenie roast. i couldnt believe how bad they sound. they do a couple rage songs and a couple soundgarden tunes. chris sounds terrible doing the soundgarden songs and my old band covered the rage songs they play and we did a much better job. they must of had a really bad night. i seen them twice a couple years ago and thought they were great both times. but all they played were audioslave tunes. i noticed on the video that chis sounds pretty good on all the audioslave songs he just sucked singing the soundgarden and rage tunes. if you want to check it out go to www.audioslaved.com.

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I'm curious to hear it. I was underwhelmed by the first Audioslave album. Compared with Soundgarden and Cornell's solo album, it just didn't do it for me. I liked some Rage stuff as well, so I was looking forward to it when it came out.
    Here's my big pet peeve with the band: Don't mean to be a flamer or anything, but Brad Wilk has got to be the most boring drummer in the history of rock. Has he ever played a drum fill? In RATM, it worked b/c of the sort of rap element to their music, but the lack of dynamics on the drums in Audioslave really hold them back IMO. One of my guitarists first pointed this out when the first record came out, and I realized that is what I didn't like about it. Anyone else feel this way? Curiious what others think about this.

10. I think Brad Wilk has great groove and really plays what's best for the songs while leaving room for the bass to shine through. I saw him do a crazy fill on 'Killing In The Name' live once

11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You know, I never felt he underplayed in Rage, and I'm usually the first to be a proponent of playing for the song. I really hate alot of wanking!!! :bassist:
    I just can't get past the feeling that the Audioslave tracks are "missing something", and that some more dynamic drum parts would push it over the top. Oh well, it is all just personal opinions, but I'd love to hear Audioslave with someone like Dave Grohl turning it into a powerhouse!

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Very good album. I consider audioslave at the top of the list of modern bands. Very tight, powerful music. I have no complaints!

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dang, I didn't know it was out yet!

*rides bike to Borders*

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've listened to the first three tracks so far and the second one (the title track of the album) was the only one of them I liked. Track 1 sounded shockingly uncreative with a really weak riff and track 3 did sound good but really sounded like Audioslave covering U2.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like alot of the grooves on the disc just fine. But Cornell's vocals are just too annoying in many places. I know he sings what he sings, and he's a good singer, but his pitch-tenor-tone just clogs up alot of space. He had his moments in Soundgarden, but he made noise where none was needed there too.

Sometimes, it just sounds forced, like he's trying too hard or somethin'.

But they're a decent band. Like someone else said in this thread, there's an edge, Audioslave is just not near it yet.

16. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I like the two singles they have going on the radio. Be Yourself is a solid tune. Tim's tone on that one is killer too.

I'm looking forward to hearing the entire album.

17. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I really love Tim's tone on this album. I think as a whole the CD is great. Tracks like Heaven's Dead and The Worm really stick out to me. I also love the bass on Yesterday to Tomorrow.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I do think Brad's playing lacks something nowadays, it's just doesn't seem as powerfull either. In RATM days he was one of my fav drummers. Although everyones playing has been cut back and made simpler I suppose.

RATM were also one of my favourite bands live, although I havn't experience Audioslave live yet.

19. olesne

olesne

Mar 25, 2005
    Great album! I'm as impressed with out of exile as I was with the first one. I don't care what anyone says but Audioslave's music is better than 98.9% of the absolute horse crap out there! :bassist:

20. olesne

olesne

Mar 25, 2005
    I read an interview with Brad W. prior to the first Audioslave release and it appears his drumming style is done so by design. He said he takes an early R&B approach to Audioslave's tracks. He said he wanted to eliminate as many drum fills as he could partly because he did not want to sound like Matt Cameron from Soundgarden. I don't know what he sounds like on Rage CD's because I don't own any. I found his approach interesting and the drumming on both Audioslave CD's absolutely hypnotic. I think his drumming is a big reason I wore the first CD absolutely out. :)