Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audislave: Live in Cuba

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Smallequestrian, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Picked up the new CD over the weekend. First of all I love Audioslave. But even better than that, to my ears it had just a great mix going. I didn't have to struggle at all to hear the bass. I really wish they would release a CD version of the concert, it was that good. Anyways, check it out if you get a chance. Just watching Morello do his crazy guitar stuff is almost reason enough.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Haven't got all the way through mine yet, but impressions so far:

1. Cornell is not the most "in tune" vocalist in music.
    2. Commerford's back up vocals are VERY out of tune.
    3. Morello is a very creative, great guitarist.
    4. The mix is very good, but........
    5. ...it is not synced well. The Video is strangely about 1/4th of a second ahead of the Audio...the whole thing...it's not an effect :meh: .

PS. Not sure if I spelled their names correctly....and I'm too lazy to go get the CD and look.:p

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    we all do, pete, we all do :bawl:

just think about how bad ass it would have been Rage playing in Cuba... ESPECIALLY when they start playing FREEDOM!!!

4. i am a big fan of audioslave, but i am a little nervous to shell out the $20 because i have heard cornell sing live, and he never seems to sound as good as on the cds...

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    There are a couple of tracks where Cornell is very shaky. But often he is just fine. When he is on, he has just about the most amazing voice I have ever heard. And Crommeford did have his share of backup vocal issues. Also, my video was in sync with the audio fine, don't know why your's was bad.

It was 12.99 at Fry's for me, and that was the special version.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I wonder how the managed to get away with playing in Cuba at all, what with the restrictions on US trade with them.... :confused:

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Timmy C. is a HORRIBLE backup singer. I mean, Tom and Brad must really have to suck to force anyone to let Commerford do backups. His horrible backups are featured on all the old RATM DVDs as well.

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I heard him live and he was good enough...

9. For any DirectTV users on here, the Audioslave Cuba concert has been on the Freeview channel the last few weeks.

I was surprised how terrible Cornell sounded. It's hard to believe that's the same guy that sung 'Jesus Christ Pose'.

I didn't enjoy the concert much but I also can't get into their music, it sounds really uninspired to me, quite unlike RATM :)

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Autotune? On CDs They probably do his vocals one line at a time and take the best ones. Takes the soul out of a performance, but sounds in tune and no screw-ups.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I doubt it. It's so subtle I almost didn't notice. I just couldn't figure out why it felt kind of "disjointed". Where you really see it is watching the drummer (especially the snare). You see the hit a micro second before you hear it. Kind of like being 30 yards away from the stage where the sound is a little late compared to what you are watching.

If the "special" version is the two disc set, I've got that too.

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    If you are watching a DVD on a PS2, it will go out of snyc every now and then. Are you?

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No. It's the same on every DVD player in the house. I've since seen other copies of it playing in Music and Electronics stores. They're all the same. It's so subtle I'm sure most people wouldn't notice it, but I've always been kind of a "time/meter savant". :p

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Picked up the dvd earlier today at best buy for 12 bucks..haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I saw them headline Bocktoberfest this past weekend in the Mecca (Shiner,TX.) and they sounded really, really good. Best sound from an outdoor show I've ever heard.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I caught them live on tour and easilly one of the best live performances I've seen, and they've been plentiful.

Haven't picked up the DVD yet, but I caught parts on MTV and really liked what I saw.

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Do they play any RATM songs, and if so, does Chris C do vocals or do they go instrumental?