1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audition advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by N.F.A., May 18, 2011.

1. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Going to my first band audition tomorrow night and just wondering if any of you have advice. I have played in plenty of bands before, but never had to audition to get in one.
    It's a Rolling Stones tribute band. They sent me a list of 6 songs to learn for the audition. I have learned those and another 12 or so. :) It was very fun!

2. Try to get a good night's sleep.

Show up early, 15 minutes or so. Time enough to set up your gear, tune your bass, and calm yourself down a bit.

Bring just one bass, a cable, and a combo amp if you have one. Worry about pedals if you get the job.

Remember that you're auditioning them as much as they're auditioning you. Essentially it's a job interview, and both sides are trying to see if there's a fit there.

Have fun, and good luck. ;)

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am taking this as a two way interview. I will try getting sleep tonight.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Be prepared for curve balls,like throwing vocals at you when they told you they were not required.

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Cool, I have anticipated this and been singing simple parts for some of the songs.

6. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Stumbo, I feel honored! It's too cool having you post oneo of your famous lists in a thread which I started. Thanks!

7. Over-prepare. Be able to play the songs in your sleep. Be able to smile and look around at the others while you play. Knowing a song like the back of your hand fosters confidence and destroys stress. When you know a song well, you won't have any problem sleeping the night before.

Oh, and in this case, I highly recommend you play the tunes note-for-note like the originals. Especially in Bill Wyman's case, there are a lot of gaps and idiosyncracies, and they pretty much define the rhythm section. One of the best compliments I got playing 'Stones tunes was from a guitarist who said thank god I play them like Wyman and don't try to fancy them up.

8. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Thanks Electracoyote! I have learned them note for note. They gave me 6 audition songs, but I went ahead and learned 18 songs off their master list. (In 10 days or so!) Call me an overachiever I guess.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Show up drunk and belligerent. lol

10. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Too bad I can't show up with the Mothman bass..

11. BassAsAHobby

BassAsAHobby

Mar 18, 2011
    Chicago, IL (NW BURBS)
    Space...
    Yes...indeed it is a job interview. Dont go in there and try to wow them with some fancy lick or something. I had an audition where it was a beatles tribute band. I was over-confident, under prepared, and banked on my abilities on bass rather than what songs I should learn. Total inexperience on my part, and of course they were not impressed. BUT....next time I auditioned for a band I was 110% ready and nailed it. Sad part to this was the band broke up two weeks later. I thought I felt tension when I was playing with em.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Excellent point, fancy licks don't usually over well or make much difference in the audition stage.If a person gets the gig, you can start gradually bringing your style into the songs.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A Stones trib band that would be super cool! Good luck.

14. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Okay, so here is the update. I went and did the audition. It turned into an evening long jam session. We did the six songs they gave me on the audition list. Then we did 4 or 5 more songs I learned from their set list.( I actually learned 18 songs from their list of 38.) Then we sat down and talked band stuff. They seemed like really nice guys, they have a marketing plan, website, etc. in the works. They asked me to join on the spot. So, I apparently nailed it! I think that I am going to give these guys a try and hope for the best. Would you guys think it prudent to do Some Girls, When the Whip Comes Down, Star Star or Bitch live? They are on the setlist and I am not sure they would be a good idea to play live.

15. First off, congratulations on nailing the audition and joining the band! As far as playing those songs goes, I'd think that it would be something that the band should discuss together, bearing in mind that your audience will be the final determinant as to whether you should play them or not. In other words, I wouldn't play them in a junior high school, but in a club they'd probably be OK.

16. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats - Stones tunes are fun to play and the girls seem to like to dance to them.

IMO - Bitch is a great tune. Even better is you have a Sax/Horns in the band. Not sure about Star Star though.

17. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Oh - I didn't make the connection at first, you're worried about the language :p So yeah, what Stratovani said.

Though I will repeat that bitch is a great song:

The Rolling Stones - Bitch

18. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I've never auditioned for anything that I didn't get the callback. The reason for that is because I never auditioned for anything that I wasn't either: qualified, prepared for - or interested in. Plus, I'm a nice guy. Really.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Congrats on the new band!

Let us know how it goes.