1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition coming up...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Just had an e-mail from a bird I e-mailed about a year ago and hadn't heard from - she's holding auditions early next month...:hyper:

This could be the foot in the door I need to start playing professionally - I'm just finishing uni next month, so it couldn't have come at a better time!

I know which tracks to learn...any other tips aside from playing it right? - I know some people say "sell yourself, appear confident, blah blah..." - but I'm quite shy with people I don't know especially when it comes to a potential job, and to make it worse - she's good looking! (when I was a teenager I used to not be able to look a nice girl in the face...)

Anyway...any advice guys? :cool:

2. Oh yeah - heres a link to their website...I think I recognise the band name from somewhere....

3. ...no-one?

Just tell us what ya reckon I should be like...PLEASE!

Any tips on what to wear, how to act, how many basses to take, how many business cards to give out would be good...

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Know the material inside and out
    Be on time, in fact, be just a little early.
    Be professional (don't drink..smoke, etc)
    Wear casual but professional atire

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Be prepared (backup strings, picks, etc).

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    A lot of it is about personality - a good player is a dime a dozen, but the RIGHT player for the band is priceless.

Be yourself, as best you can. Let everything else take care of itself.

7. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That is the best advice (other than the basic stuff like practice the songs and be on time). I auditioned for a group that was doing music I had never been called to play before, and I really wanted to get some jobs in that genre, so I ingratiated myself to the band leader, even though he was a complete jerk. I got the job, but I hated almost every minute of it. If you don't click with the group, don't try to force it. Let it go. Let the universe work things out the way it wants to.

8. +1. Look at it like a job interview. Hell, the band I'm in now consist of friends I grew up with, and the guitarist and I used to be in a band together, but I still went into it like a job interview.

9. She's quite good - this could be an excellent opportunity for you.

#1 Be attentive (listen to her). This is a hired sideman gig so give her what she wants with a smile.

#2 Groove hard (listen to the drums). The rhythm section on the demo is very tight (drums were likely sequenced or time corrected) so really play tight to the kit. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to work these songs out to a click.

#3 Be agreeable (be friendly, be nice). People like people who like people, so go out of your way to be friendly. Trust me, this is a big deal.

#4 Be a pro (know the songs better than they do). Don't just learn the riffs, know the arrangement cold, know the tempo, the key, the drumline. Learn it all.

Best of luck!